Author Topic: Ribs  (Read 20926 times)

Offline Chez Bubba

• Tryin' to be a good guy
Re: Ribs
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2004, 05:32:25 am »
See: http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=102&SearchTerms=advancing,bisquettes

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Offline Bassman

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2004, 12:15:02 am »
Today I smoked a rack of baby back ribs. Applied rub the night before,smoked for 6hrs @ 200F w/hickory. Concerning tender & moist,Excellent[:p][:D][;)]. Concerning the rub,I put WAY to much cayene pepper in it and holy mackeral is it hot!!![:0][:0][B)]. Next time I'm not going to rub them at all, I'm going to cover them in BBQ sauce and then smoke'em.I would like to fing a rub that would enhance the flavor of meat not cover it or burn it off my tongue.Yet another learning experience![;)]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Offline Chez Bubba

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2004, 12:40:46 am »
Hey Jack,

If they're too hot to eat, save 'em & make a batch of chili. The slow cook will leech the hot out & make for a wonderful bowl.

Kirk

Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Offline Fuzzybear

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2004, 01:18:46 am »
Mmmmm...MMMM!! [:p][:p][:p]

Ribs are my next test...whats the recommendation?[?]

Pork?[?]
Beef?[?]

Maybe both???  I'm thinking pork cuz I'm likin' a lot of meat and tender stuff at that!  But beef has it's good points too![:p][:p]

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Offline Richard Pearce

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2004, 10:59:16 am »
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fuzzybear</i>
<br />Yeah, keep the door closed - <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<font face="Comic Sans MS"></font id="Comic Sans MS"><font color="blue"></font id="blue">I have now chipped a redbrick to just the right size that it sits very comfortably by the bowl on the very bottom deck. I put this in the kitchen oven for about an hour before smoking and then in the BS. Up comes the temp just like that and I can be pretty free with the door as the temp recovery is nice and quick. As I'm an inveterate "opener for a peek" this helps my craving!

Stouffville, Ontario, Canada.
Richard Pearce

Offline Bassman

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2004, 01:19:38 pm »
Thanks kirk for the idea,this time I just scraped the rub off and they were edible.

Fuzzy, I never tried beef ribs,But my vote would be Pork Baby Back Ribs. IMO they are just tastier(if you don't over spice them[V]). Baby Back ribs have more meat on than pork belllie ribs.there is a nice chart at this web site:
http://www.askthemeatman.com/

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Offline Chez Bubba

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2004, 12:00:15 am »
I've never made beef ribs because frankly, I've never sampled any that made me think "Oooh, I've got to make these." Pork just always seemed to taste better.....and I'm a Northerner! Maybe I just haven't met the right beef rib yet?

Kirk

Offline msiler

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2004, 10:34:01 am »
I did ribs this weekend followed the smoke and spice recipe for Apple City Baby Back Ribs..... 4 full racks of ribs + 4 people = no leftovers[:(]    Next time I will have to really load it up.... Oh yeah and remember to take pictures prior to the only evidence left is a pile of picked clean bones....[:D][:D]

When in doubt smoke it.

Offline Fuzzybear

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2004, 01:21:57 pm »
Well then, pork it is![:D]

Glendora, CA - USA!

Offline Fuzzybear

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2004, 02:57:55 am »
Ok kids!

Fuzzy is taking the pork rib plunge[:D] on Sunday the 6th...here's the game plan........

2lbs of country style pork ribs (you know, those thick ones![:p]
Hickory wood to smoke 3 to 6 hours - not sure yet...everyone has done baby backs, not the country style so I'll experiment for ya'll!

Subline Smoke marinade over night consisting of rasberry jam/worchestire sauce/water/ketchup/minced onion/cider vinegar - see page 188 of Sublime Smoke....

On the rub:  also, page 188 but modified to include 1/4 tsp garlic salt/1/4 tsp rosemary/1/4 tsp black pepper - oh, and I am using Turbinado sugar in lieu of brown sugar.
[:p]

Hoo yaa!!![:D]

Glendora, CA - USA!

Offline Chez Bubba

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2004, 03:10:52 am »
Fuzz,

2# of country's should be done in 3 hrs, depending on the temp. I like mine a little chewy, not fallin' off like baby's. I'd spread 'em out over all 4 racks & apply smoke the whole time. You & Mrs. Bear enjoy the meal.[:)]

Kirk

Offline Fuzzybear

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2004, 01:59:28 am »
Awesome ribs guys!  I'm in favor with gramma and the missus!  Smoked them 2 hours and 20 minutes (boneless) and am way happy[:D] and surprised[:D] at how good they turned out...that glaze from Sublime Smoke was incredibile!!!![:p][:p][:p][:p] I don't know what temp they were but the chicken on the next rack read 142 degrees....I just couldn't stand it and took a bite and felt they were done, took them off, let them rest another 15 minutes and chowed down - no pics but they were sticky/glazed/and delicious!!!  Mmmmmmmmmm Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

The wife says "Keep this one for company" - next time, I'll be smoking at least 4 lbs - the 2lbs was a tester for me since I had not done ribs before.......I'm addicted!

"Edit" forgot to mention that I alternated hickory and apple for the entire time......

Glendora, CA - USA!

Offline kjel

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2004, 09:46:49 pm »
Just smoked my first batch of baby back ribs weekend of the 4th.  I went w/ 6 rack of ribs bec. I hate cleaning the smoker for just 1 or 2 racks.  Peeled off the membrane and cut each rack in half. Used a no sugar rub and left in plastic overnight.  Heated up smoker to max which was 350F for 1 hr.  Took ribs out of the refrig. for 45 minutes and used a rub w/ some sugar in it.  I was able to fit 3 half racks of ribs per metal rack.  Used all 4 racks.  Put the smaller less meaty portions on the top 2 metal racks and meatier portions on the 2 bottom metal racks. Put pieces of bacon over the ribs on the bottom 2 racks to keep them from burning. Used 4hrs of special blend bisquettes.  As soon as I put in the ribs, temp dropped to 125F and did not hit 190 for 1hr30min.  Started timing my 4 hrs of cooking time as soon as temp hit 190.  2 hrs in I turned the metal racks front to back only.  Took 35 min. to get back up to 200F.  Cooked another 2hrs.  
Results:  Ribs were super tender.

Offline David6340

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2004, 03:49:56 pm »
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fuzzybear</i>
<br />Awesome ribs guys!  I'm in favor with gramma and the missus!  Smoked them 2 hours and 20 minutes (boneless) and am way happy[:D] and surprised[:D] at how good they turned out...that glaze from Sublime Smoke was incredibile!!!![:p][:p][:p][:p] I don't know what temp they were but the chicken on the next rack read 142 degrees....I just couldn't stand it and took a bite and felt they were done, took them off, let them rest another 15 minutes and chowed down - no pics but they were sticky/glazed/and delicious!!!  Mmmmmmmmmm Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

The wife says "Keep this one for company" - next time, I'll be smoking at least 4 lbs - the 2lbs was a tester for me since I had not done ribs before.......I'm addicted!

"Edit" forgot to mention that I alternated hickory and apple for the entire time......

Glendora, CA - USA!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Fuzz,

I just saw your recipe and would like to try it as I just got my BS. I noticed you used country ribs. If I can't find those, can I use back ribs? How often did you check them? I also noticed that some people on this board suggest cooking their ribs at 200 for 6-7 hours. Your ribs took much less time. Do back ribs take longer then country ribs?

Thanks[:)]
Dave

Offline nsxbill

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2004, 05:59:35 pm »
Richard Pearce,

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I have now chipped a redbrick to just the right size that it sits very comfortably by the bowl on the very bottom deck. I put this in the kitchen oven for about an hour before smoking and then in the BS. Up comes the temp just like that and I can be pretty free with the door as the temp recovery is nice and quick. As I'm an inveterate "opener for a peek" this helps my craving!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Great idea on the Red Brick - maybe even two.  

As a rookie, I like to see what I am doing too!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.