Ribs

Started by Cold Smoke, February 27, 2004, 10:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chez Bubba

http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Bassman

Today I smoked a rack of baby back ribs. Applied rub the night before,smoked for 6hrs @ 200F w/hickory. Concerning tender & moist,Excellent[:p][:D][;)]. Concerning the rub,I put WAY to much cayene pepper in it and holy mackeral is it hot!!![:0][:0][B)]. Next time I'm not going to rub them at all, I'm going to cover them in BBQ sauce and then smoke'em.I would like to fing a rub that would enhance the flavor of meat not cover it or burn it off my tongue.Yet another learning experience![;)]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Chez Bubba

Hey Jack,

If they're too hot to eat, save 'em & make a batch of chili. The slow cook will leech the hot out & make for a wonderful bowl.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Fuzzybear

Mmmmm...MMMM!! [:p][:p][:p]

Ribs are my next test...whats the recommendation?[?]

Pork?[?]
Beef?[?]

Maybe both???  I'm thinking pork cuz I'm likin' a lot of meat and tender stuff at that!  But beef has it's good points too![:p][:p]

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Richard Pearce

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fuzzybear</i>
<br />Yeah, keep the door closed - <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<font face="Comic Sans MS"></font id="Comic Sans MS"><font color="blue"></font id="blue">I have now chipped a redbrick to just the right size that it sits very comfortably by the bowl on the very bottom deck. I put this in the kitchen oven for about an hour before smoking and then in the BS. Up comes the temp just like that and I can be pretty free with the door as the temp recovery is nice and quick. As I'm an inveterate "opener for a peek" this helps my craving!

Stouffville, Ontario, Canada.
Richard Pearce

Bassman

Thanks kirk for the idea,this time I just scraped the rub off and they were edible.

Fuzzy, I never tried beef ribs,But my vote would be Pork Baby Back Ribs. IMO they are just tastier(if you don't over spice them[V]). Baby Back ribs have more meat on than pork belllie ribs.there is a nice chart at this web site:
http://www.askthemeatman.com/

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Chez Bubba

I've never made beef ribs because frankly, I've never sampled any that made me think "Oooh, I've got to make these." Pork just always seemed to taste better.....and I'm a Northerner! Maybe I just haven't met the right beef rib yet?

Kirk

Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?

msiler

I did ribs this weekend followed the smoke and spice recipe for Apple City Baby Back Ribs..... 4 full racks of ribs + 4 people = no leftovers[:(]    Next time I will have to really load it up.... Oh yeah and remember to take pictures prior to the only evidence left is a pile of picked clean bones....[:D][:D]

When in doubt smoke it.

Fuzzybear

Well then, pork it is![:D]

Glendora, CA - USA!

Fuzzybear

Ok kids!

Fuzzy is taking the pork rib plunge[:D] on Sunday the 6th...here's the game plan........

2lbs of country style pork ribs (you know, those thick ones![:p]
Hickory wood to smoke 3 to 6 hours - not sure yet...everyone has done baby backs, not the country style so I'll experiment for ya'll!

Subline Smoke marinade over night consisting of rasberry jam/worchestire sauce/water/ketchup/minced onion/cider vinegar - see page 188 of Sublime Smoke....

On the rub:  also, page 188 but modified to include 1/4 tsp garlic salt/1/4 tsp rosemary/1/4 tsp black pepper - oh, and I am using Turbinado sugar in lieu of brown sugar.
[:p]

Hoo yaa!!![:D]

Glendora, CA - USA!

Chez Bubba

Fuzz,

2# of country's should be done in 3 hrs, depending on the temp. I like mine a little chewy, not fallin' off like baby's. I'd spread 'em out over all 4 racks & apply smoke the whole time. You & Mrs. Bear enjoy the meal.[:)]

Kirk

Fuzzybear

Awesome ribs guys!  I'm in favor with gramma and the missus!  Smoked them 2 hours and 20 minutes (boneless) and am way happy[:D] and surprised[:D] at how good they turned out...that glaze from Sublime Smoke was incredibile!!!![:p][:p][:p][:p] I don't know what temp they were but the chicken on the next rack read 142 degrees....I just couldn't stand it and took a bite and felt they were done, took them off, let them rest another 15 minutes and chowed down - no pics but they were sticky/glazed/and delicious!!!  Mmmmmmmmmm Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

The wife says "Keep this one for company" - next time, I'll be smoking at least 4 lbs - the 2lbs was a tester for me since I had not done ribs before.......I'm addicted!

"Edit" forgot to mention that I alternated hickory and apple for the entire time......

Glendora, CA - USA!

kjel

Just smoked my first batch of baby back ribs weekend of the 4th.  I went w/ 6 rack of ribs bec. I hate cleaning the smoker for just 1 or 2 racks.  Peeled off the membrane and cut each rack in half. Used a no sugar rub and left in plastic overnight.  Heated up smoker to max which was 350F for 1 hr.  Took ribs out of the refrig. for 45 minutes and used a rub w/ some sugar in it.  I was able to fit 3 half racks of ribs per metal rack.  Used all 4 racks.  Put the smaller less meaty portions on the top 2 metal racks and meatier portions on the 2 bottom metal racks. Put pieces of bacon over the ribs on the bottom 2 racks to keep them from burning. Used 4hrs of special blend bisquettes.  As soon as I put in the ribs, temp dropped to 125F and did not hit 190 for 1hr30min.  Started timing my 4 hrs of cooking time as soon as temp hit 190.  2 hrs in I turned the metal racks front to back only.  Took 35 min. to get back up to 200F.  Cooked another 2hrs.  
Results:  Ribs were super tender.

David6340

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fuzzybear</i>
<br />Awesome ribs guys!  I'm in favor with gramma and the missus!  Smoked them 2 hours and 20 minutes (boneless) and am way happy[:D] and surprised[:D] at how good they turned out...that glaze from Sublime Smoke was incredibile!!!![:p][:p][:p][:p] I don't know what temp they were but the chicken on the next rack read 142 degrees....I just couldn't stand it and took a bite and felt they were done, took them off, let them rest another 15 minutes and chowed down - no pics but they were sticky/glazed/and delicious!!!  Mmmmmmmmmm Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

The wife says "Keep this one for company" - next time, I'll be smoking at least 4 lbs - the 2lbs was a tester for me since I had not done ribs before.......I'm addicted!

"Edit" forgot to mention that I alternated hickory and apple for the entire time......

Glendora, CA - USA!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Fuzz,

I just saw your recipe and would like to try it as I just got my BS. I noticed you used country ribs. If I can't find those, can I use back ribs? How often did you check them? I also noticed that some people on this board suggest cooking their ribs at 200 for 6-7 hours. Your ribs took much less time. Do back ribs take longer then country ribs?

Thanks[:)]
Dave

nsxbill

Richard Pearce,

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I have now chipped a redbrick to just the right size that it sits very comfortably by the bowl on the very bottom deck. I put this in the kitchen oven for about an hour before smoking and then in the BS. Up comes the temp just like that and I can be pretty free with the door as the temp recovery is nice and quick. As I'm an inveterate "opener for a peek" this helps my craving!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Great idea on the Red Brick - maybe even two.  

As a rookie, I like to see what I am doing too!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.