Ribs

Started by Cold Smoke, February 27, 2004, 10:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigSmoker

A friend of mine sent me this link as the discussion on ribs has been on the front line lately.http://www.ribman.com/abtribs.html
After reading this site I definitely understand ribs better.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

nsxbill

I am going to try out the BS model Guru for this smoke for the first time on Sunday (tomorrow).  I intend to go for about 185 internal temp. Using this recipe from Smoke & Spice with some slight modification.

Bourbon-Glazed Ribs

Barbecued Rib Rub   
1/3   cup   Pepper, Freshly Ground   
1/4   cup   Paprika   
2   Tbsp   Sugar   
1   Tbsp   Salt   Coarse sea.kosher
1   tbsp   chili powder   
1 1/2   tea   garlic powder   
1 1/2   tea   onion powder   
3   each   pork spareribs   3lbs each +/-

Bourbon Mop(optional)   - I am mopping at two hours
3/4   cup   bourbon   
3/4   cup   cider vinegar   

Sauce   
1/4   cup   butter   unsalted best
1/4   cup   vegetable oil   
2   each   onions, medium   minced
3/4   cup   bourbon   
2/3   cup   ketchup   
1/2   cup   cider vinegar   
1/2   cup   fresh orange juice   
1/2   cup   pure maple syrup   
1/3   cup   molasses   
2   Tbsp   worcestershire sauce   
1/2   tea   pepper, freshly ground   
1/2   tea   salt   

Using a pair of needle nose pliers, removing the membrane on underside of ribs (I like to do this because I think it works the best and allow better infusion of spice from the rub and smoke once in the smoker.)

Tonight I will combine rub ingredients in a bowl, and apply the rub evenly to the ribs, reserving about 1/2 of the spice mixture.  Slabs in a plastic bag or wrapped in saran and refrigerating them overnight.

<font color="red">Make sure you have beer in refrigerator, well-chilled to enjoy in case waiting for ribs makes you thirsty.</font id="red">

Before I begin, will take the ribs from the refrigerator and pat down with the remaining rub.  Will let stand at room temp for 30-40 minutes.

Preheating the BS to 200-220 degrees for an hour.

If  basting(I am x 1), mix together the bourbon with vinegar with 1/2 cup water.  Warm the mop over low heat.

Transfer meat to smoker.  Cook the ribs for about 4-5 hours, turning and mopping after 2 hours.  I will be swapping shelves in the Bradley when I mop.

Prepare the Bour-BQ sauce while slabs are smoking so it is ready to apply to the ribs approx 45 min before the meat is done.  In large saucepan melt the butter with oil over medium heat.  Add the onions and sauté for about 5 min, on until they begin to turn golden.  Add the remaining ingredients, and cook at low temp about 40 minutes until it thickens.

I am going to brush the ribs w sauce once or twice in the last 45 min to 1 hr of smoking to get a bit of a glaze.  Return remaining amount to stove and simmer for another 20 minutes until reduced by 1/3.

Meat is done when meat bends easily between the ribs, and sauce is gooey and sticky.  Slice the way you choose-I like to slice into 2-rib portions after I let them sit outside of the smoker for about 10 minutes.

Have a great weekend!

Bill

There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Cold Smoke

NSX- Let us know how that worked out- sounds GREAT! I have the corner of that page of S&S marked and have been meaning to try that one soon. Been busy with sausage recently- no great success with that so far[:(]. But that's another story....
 <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Make sure you have beer in refrigerator, well-chilled to enjoy in case waiting for ribs makes you thirsty.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I'm glad you're playing it safe- just in case.[:p]

Don't forget to put your quality control officer hat on and taste test that bourbon.

Good luck!!

Cold Smoke

nsxbill

Like any product or endeavor, quality control is important.  For this recipe, however I intend on using Wild Turkey, and save my single barrel for sipping later.  

Damn I hope the <font color="red">Guru Raptor combination</font id="red"> works like it says it will!

I am mopping mid-cycle because the last ribs I did were just a little dry.  The sauce with bourbon [:p] sounds good to carmelize a bit at the end.  Damn, I'l drink to that!  Nice thing about the kids being grown is that there will be more leftovers!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

BigSmoker

Bill,
I can't wait to hear about the results.  If the raptor works as well with a BS as the BBQ Guru does with my BGE you don't have a thing to worry about except running out of beer.[:D][:D]  Would love to see some pics of the whole setup.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

jaeger

<b><font color="purple"><font size="3">BUMP!!</font id="size3"></font id="purple"></b>

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

bgfntk

I'm expecting my new Bradley in this week, just in time to try smoking some ribs this weekend. Anyone got a failsafe first time recipe, for a newby to smoking, that would impress some friends on a poker night? I'm open to any decent rubs and mopping sauce.

Scott

Mikey

Hey if you dont like cleaning that drip tray try coating the top and bottom of it with a little pam. It makes your life allot easier.

Yuenglingman

Cooking beef Brisket tomorrow, anybody got a sure fire recipe?
this is my first brisket.

thanks Gerry

owrstrich

i didnt know you could get yuengling in north carolina...

what you got... flat or whole... select or choice... weight...

anyway... if you do texas style brisket its one shiner per hour prior
to ftc...

if you do pennsylvania style brisket its one yuengling per hour to ftc...

by the way... only water during ftc... its a resting period you know...

you gotts to eat the beast...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

JJC

Welcome, Gerry!  Give us a few more details and we cna give you all the help you need [:)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

curbstop180

hello
ok ive got one ive been reading all the stuff i can get my hands on for ribs im going to do my first attempt at them tomorrow but the ? is alot that i read is rub them rap then refridge over night some rap in seran wrap some in foil i put mine in a in a vac bag and sealed them in the vacum sealer is this a bad i dea do they need a little bit of air to let the rub do its job or will this idea be fine once agin i do apprecieate any insight with this [:D]

JJC

I'm not an engineer or physicist, CS180, but my guess is that if anything a vacuum will enhance the rub action.  Some of us use vacuum marinators to enhance penetration of liquid-based marinades.  Perhaps dry rubs aren't enhanced, but I wouldn't guess that it would be worse.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

curbstop180

hello
thank you jjc your reply is very much appreciated i was thinking along the lines of a liquid vacuum marinator when i did it but then after i did it i was thinking man out of all the reading ive done on it i havent heard of anybody do it before weather for the good or bad but hey i'll let you know tomorrow [;)]
 thank you once agin jjc[:D]

curbstop180

hello
well the ribs are done the vacum seal if anything worked for me instead of aginst so thats a + i pre heated the bss to 300f rubed the ribs with the left over from the day before and poped those bad boys in there i put 1 slab cut in half per rack the temp went down to around 150f and took about 1- 1 1/2 hours to get to 190's after about 2 1/2 hours i rotated them and had no problem with the bss getting back to temp i then  started the bbq sauce that i seen nsxbill put in here -the bourbon just added a little more oj,molasses,maple syrup i tell you what at first i wassent to sure about it but when the bbq sauce was done i tell you what if your looking for a good sauce that is for sure one[:p] when i had about 1 hr left i started the baste one coat at an hour and one coat at halt an hour after that i pulled them out and i couldent belive it i wasent even hungry at the time and i put away haly a slab they were moist and falling of the bone my hardest decision now is what to do next [:D]