Brats

Started by queball, February 18, 2010, 02:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

queball

Has anybody had experience smoking Brats on there smokers? Just thinking of trying something different. :)

OU812

Make sure you put cure in there before you smoke them.

I have smoked German sausage and love it.

pensrock

I think if you smoke/cook them at a high enough temp you will be fine. I would smoke them at 250-275. If your plans are to make and smoke them to use later, then I would use cure in the mix.

OU812

I guess I wasnt clear, I smoke and cook them to an IT of 145 and finish cookin them at a later date on the grill. Makes cook time on the grill allot quicker.

classicrockgriller

So smoking fresh Brats from the store with no cure is a No No unless you can get the Bradley to 260 to 275?

MPTubbs

Quote from: classicrockgriller on February 19, 2010, 05:24:26 AM
So smoking fresh Brats from the store with no cure is a No No unless you can get the Bradley to 260 to 275?

I would like to know the answer also!

I was going to do that at a party....don't want to get people sick!
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

pensrock

QuoteSo smoking fresh Brats from the store with no cure is a No No unless you can get the Bradley to 260 to 275?

I am not sure of the exact temp. Maybe Habs or NEPAS can chime in with more info. All I know is if there is not any cure in the sausage then you want to get it to temp fairly fast. When I'm making sausage to keep for later use, I always use cure. If I plan to eat it right away either right from the smoker or from the smoker to the grill, then I am not worried about using cure as long as I can get the smoker pretty warm, say 250+.

QuoteI smoke and cook them to an IT of 145 and finish cookin them at a later date on the grill. Makes cook time on the grill allot quicker.
OU812, I do the same for some sausages. I'm always afraid if I take it to 150-155 then when I cook it later it will dry out. With cure in it and going to 140-145 it seems to work for me.

classicrockgriller

That does make sense, thanks pens.

Habanero Smoker

I would stick with Pen's suggestion on temperature. The minimum safe temperature to smoked uncured sausage (this includes fatties, meatloaf and other ground meat) would be 225°F, but 250°F is better.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

queball

That's the answer I was looking for. I guess if I want to try it I would have to use my propane smoker. Thanks

Habanero Smoker

I have smoked fresh sausage in my Bradley, maintaining temperatures of 225° - 230°F with success and have smoked many meatloaves. So I would say if you stay above 225°F that provides good protection. If you still don't feel comfortable, then smoke them for about 40 minutes to an hour at 225°F, then transfer to a grill.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

oakrdrzfan

i have boiled uncured brats and then smoked them for an hour.  They turned out great that way. 

classicrockgriller

I usually cook my in beer with a couple of rides to the grill.

And drink some beers while I am cooking them and eating them.

Beer Brats for President!