High Mountain cure

Started by Phone Guy, April 15, 2005, 11:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy Canuck

Phone Guy
Don't mean to be rude or anything but using Hilly Billy and Butt in the same sentence gives some of us that [:0]DELIVERENCE[:0] Kind of feeling. Good Luck!

Addicted to Smokin'[:p][:p][:p]
DanR
Fort St. John BC

Chez Bubba

http://www.destgulch.com/movies/deliver/deliv37.wav[:0][:0]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Crazy Canuck</i>
<br />Phone Guy
Don't mean to be rude or anything but using Hilly Billy and Butt in the same sentence gives some of us that [:0]DELIVERENCE[:0] Kind of feeling. Good Luck!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Ahh, that brings back memories.... Shootin' hill billies I mean.

MallardWacker

Where I live, late in the evenings on a full moon you can still hear banjos.  I just lock the doors and load the Duck Gun.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Phone Guy

Well I had the BBB curing in the fridge for 12 days and smoked on Sunday. I soaked for two hours prior to smoking but I am finding its a little salty. Its not bad enough where I have a problem with it but I wish I would have rinsed again and soaked another hour or two. It is deliciously flavoured though.

I thought I read somewhere that someone rinsed their bacon prior to frying it because of the salt. Is that something anyone has tried?

MallardWacker

Dude of Phone,

If you want to try this again.  Go to:Butcher-Packer

There you will find a couple good cures that will not leave such a salty taste to your cure.  And cheap.  This is all I use now, I first stared with BBB but then found this, like finding a good women-I never went back.(Boy my wife would be proud of that, comparing her to cure)  The only problem (that is minor problem) is that you must weigh out the cure and for that you will need a scale that reads in a resolution of two decimals-100ths.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
you will need a scale that reads in a resolution of two decimals-100ths.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I have a digital table top scale. It has been very useful.

jaeger

Phone Guy,
If you are mixing BB cure with water and you find it to salty, just use less cure next time.(or more water)  Just keep notes so you know what amounts are working best.

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jaeger</i>
<br />Phone Guy,
If you are mixing BB cure with water and you find it to salty, just use less cure next time.(or more water)  Just keep notes so you know what amounts are working best.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I just rubbed it on dry. Maybe I missed something but I thought it was a dry rub. I'm not home right now to recheck the instructions. I'll check asap.

MallardWacker

Phone-ster,

It is dry.  Just rub it in good.  Just remember to turn the meat like it said and DO NOT WORRY about the fluid it will cast off.  LEAVE IT ALONE, you do NOT have to drain it off. Depending on the particular  piece of meat it might have alot or very little fluid. I use a a good Zip-Lock Freezer bag now, that works perfect for this.  The directions that are over on the curing area is just about the same as the BBB.  You can fallow those and it will turn out fine.  If you have any questions please let me know, I love this stuff-Bacon[:p].

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

jaeger

Sorry Phone Guy and MW,
I thought it was a brine and not a dry rub. My bad.[:I]

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

MallardWacker

Doug,

That aint no Bad.

Bad is when you forget your MOM's birthday.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas