"Raining Bacon" Question

Started by MWS, April 17, 2005, 12:03:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MWS

I am wondering about the use of bacon while smoking my brisket. I will be doing my first brisket Sunday and I've so far dry rubbed and brushed it with mustard. I am now pondering whether I should use bacon to keep the meat moist during the predicted 9 hour cook (4 hours hickory smoke). If I use bacon, should I lay them on the brisket, or place it on a rack above the meat. At what point should I put the bacon in and a BIG question, does it make a difference. I really don't want to take away from the natural smoked flavours produced with the brisket by adding bacon drippings if you know what I mean.  Any advice is appreciated [:)]

MWS - Mike
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

nsxbill

I like to put the bacon above.  It goes in when the meat goes in. Not mandatory.  Just keeps things a bit more moist and flavorful.  

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Chez Bubba

What Bill said.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

owrstrich

i have been layering the top rack with 3 layers of thin sliced pepperoni instead of bacon for pork and beef...

works killer so far...

more later...

owrstrich...

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

MWS

O.K..... I'll bite, who's the smokin' band [;)]

MWS - Mike
Mike 

Chez Bubba

Iggy Pop?[;)][;)][;)][;)]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

MWS

Wait, I think I see the Bradley behind the guy with the yellow guitar

MWS - Mike
Mike 

MWS

holy crap Kirk, 100,000,000 posts? get a life man....[:D][:D]

MWS - Mike
Mike 

jaeger

Velvet Revolver?

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

jaeger

I agree with Bill and Chez regarding bacon above the brisket at the start of the smoke.
Here's the deal. The main objective of the bacon is to help keep the brisket from drying out. The second benefit is while your brisket is cooking, the juices of the brisket and bacon drip onto the drip sheild. You can hear it hiss as it hits the hot sheild. This is giving the meat almost as much flavor as the smoke itself. The combination of aroma will have you drooling.
 Trust us on this. Try it this way the first time and if you think it could have been better without it, then skip it next time.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">and I've so far dry rubbed and brushed it with mustard. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Rub meat with yellow mustard and then apply rub.[;)]

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mws</i>
<br />holy crap Kirk, 100,000,000 posts? get a life man....[:D][:D]

MWS - Mike
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Can you spare a couple stars for a newbie?

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">holy crap Kirk, 100,000,000 posts? get a life man....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Cheater, cheater, pants on fire.... (Chez did this as I have more real postings than him. He cannot handle second place LOL~~!  Too too funny!)

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

jaeger

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">holy crap Kirk, 100,000,000 posts? get a life man....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

MWS

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jaeger</i>
<br />

I agree with Bill and Chez regarding bacon above the brisket at the start of the smoke.
Here's the deal. The main objective of the bacon is to help keep the brisket from drying out. The second benefit is while your brisket is cooking, the juices of the brisket and bacon drip onto the drip sheild. You can hear it hiss as it hits the hot sheild. This is giving the meat almost as much flavor as the smoke itself. The combination of aroma will have you drooling.
 Trust us on this. Try it this way the first time and if you think it could have been better without it, then skip it next time.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You sold me, That's the encouragement I was hoping to hear. Thanks Doug [:)] Cheers and I am looking foward to "MY FIRST BRISKET".[:D]

MWS - Mike
Mike 

owrstrich

the jaeger gets it...

vr played the phoenix indycar race last month... who elese is rocking these days...

vr anaheim pond 4-17-05... our last night in the socal this year...

keep on rocking olds...

more later...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...