Water Pan Upgrade

Started by OTB, February 21, 2010, 08:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OTB

I have been reading that if you want to run the smoker overnight it is best to get a baking pan to use for the water pan so it doesn't dry up and cause a fire.  I have also read that this will help to narrow the swings in temp when you open and close the smoker door.

I would like to know the types and dimensions of the pans people are using.  I have the 4 rack digital coming in this week and would like to have the new pan waiting for my UPS shipment.

Thanks in advance.

classicrockgriller

Toker

Hi, just use a dispoable 9x13 alu pan work good for that job.

OTB

NePaSmoKer

Cant beat the throw away aluminum 2x9x13 pans. I get em at the local dollar store 2 for a buck  ;D

classicrockgriller

Like toker said, but...

you don't want it to touch the shield on the element.

Walmart brand is a 13 x9 x2

They call it a cake or desert pan ... usually a two pack with a plastic cover.

West Coast Kansan

like the folks above say the cheap disposables are the way to go... I bend the back lip up to avoid the element... good advice, at least not as scarry  :-[

Fill with hot water at the start and it really helps with boot up time and the swings.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

OTB

So it sounds like the 13x9 aluminum pans are the way to go.  Do people just start right off the bat with this?  I am not sure why not?

classicrockgriller

Oh you don't have to.

Just a thought from many smokes.

West Coast Kansan

yep,  I do still dump pucks at 4 hours and refill with fresh hot water. Careful it is hot when you pull it out and not as stable of a pan as the little ones.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

classicrockgriller

Quote from: West Coast Kansan on February 21, 2010, 09:59:09 PM
yep,  I do still dump pucks at 4 hours and refill with fresh hot water. Careful it is hot when you pull it out and not as stable of a pan as the little ones.

Pull the Bradley bottom pan with it.

Caneyscud

or buy a pack of 30 for $6+ at Sams.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Caneyscud on February 22, 2010, 06:50:03 AM

I bought a pkg of those and they are too tall.  They get wedged under the heat shield.

Caneyscud

Sorry CRG, did not realize that with the half pans.  But my Sams has had the shorter cake pans also - usually around where the knives are - not as big of a package - maybe a dozen. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

FLBentRider

Quote from: classicrockgriller on February 22, 2010, 07:37:03 AM
Quote from: Caneyscud on February 22, 2010, 06:50:03 AM

I bought a pkg of those and they are too tall.  They get wedged under the heat shield.

A leatherman and 15 seconds fixes that.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!