A quick note to the New Members and Visitor's

Started by Tenpoint5, February 22, 2010, 01:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macsfire

Hello every one.  I am new to this game of smoking but this forum has already helped me.  I have a DBS4 rack.  I have had some success and some not so good.  But the forum has helped me improve on some of my failures.  I welcome your input's.  With good luck one of these day's maybe I will have the knowledge to help someone.  Like the member's of this forum have.  After all that is what it is about.

northof60girl

I think if the forum went back to when everyone on here starting smoking we would see that everyone was a newbie once...I still am lol.  Good luck and welcome.   :D

bootlegr

[email protected]
St Catharines Ontario

Just a newby to Bradley smokers.  I am 76 years old, but as they say, never to old to learn new things.
But I have a question about the Bradley Hot smoked salmon recipe.
They quote"Smoking Method
Remove fish from cure and place skin side down on oiled racks. Rub fillet to even out the residual cure and sprinkle parsley or chive flakes. Place the racks in the Bradley meat smoker."

If there still a quantity of Salt cure left on the fillets,or should they be washed of with cold water
before smoking. Would this not make the salmon rather Salty , as there is not a 50 50 balance
of salt and sugar to balance out the Salty taste ???????
I bought the Bradley  2 weeks ago, and smoked 4 lbs of Cheddar Cheese. 2 lbs old, 1 lb each of marble
and medium.Kept the temp below 90F for 1-1/2 hours. Turned out very well.(Even my wife likes it)
And she is very picky . Have ordered apackage of Jerky cures from Halfords,and am sure looking forward to making both Jerky and Pemmican.
Thanks and Good Smokin

La Quinta

First off..welcome Bootlegr Man...second...I don't know anything about Pemmican...however I do rinse my salmon as well as soak it for maybe a half an hour...but that is for cold smoked salmon...and I do know how to do that...love that cured smoked texture...yum...my husband becomes a salmon eating machine when it gets cold here...a bagel..cream cheese...capers...he goes bonkers...oh and cucumbers...he's English...gotta have cucs on his bagel with the other stuff!!!

Anyhoo...keep asking questions...everybody here is great...

chuckerb

Hi all, just got my new bradley digital 4 shelf smoker , glad I read some of the posts in the last week, as I have learned lots already, But I am still looking where I can get some morts cure or something that will work as I really want to make some pepperoni sticks, I went to there site can buy for around 5 dollars but shipping will cost me 19 dollars any ideas as to how to get it in British Columbia Canada? thanks ,hope for a replie ,smokin77
SMOKIN 77

[email protected]

Just tried my new Bradley 4 rack digital smoker, brisket and ribs. Oven temp 220F, smoke for 4 hours, they were done in 4 hours and wayyy too smokey. HELP

sdcaller

Hey Kropos
I'm a newbie like yourself.
Just used my Bradley for the first time and did beef short ribs.
Turned out very well.
Based on what I picked up on this forum and others, I only smoked for 2 hours--people told me 4 hours was too long.
I used a temp of 200 degrees and cooked for another 6 hours after the 2 hours of smoke. Then 2 hours of FTC.

Check my post in the new member section
You will need to experiment and try things. Good luck.
SDC
Olde Tyme Square Dance for Fun

slowpoke

Hello,Nice to be in here.Hope we can swap some recipes.
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

mikecorn.1

Mike

slowpoke

Thanks,Mike
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

gcn11

Greeting from the far north of Thompson, MB. Canada. I have viewed this forum a few times and am now excited to be a member. I have recently upgraded from a Little Chief smoker to the Bradley Digital and am excited to start using it. I have dreams of someday becoming a self declared expert sausage maker and to do some fantastic smoked fish. I am sure i will find a thousand other uses for my smoker as well. My wife thinks I'm crazy but such is life. I have used nothing but my Little Chief and my BBQ for my smoking projects thus far and I really like having the low temp control or temp control period. Not to mention that where I live I couldn't use my Little Chief for 10 months of the year lol. If any members have a must try recipe suggestion for breaking in my smoker and learning about it please let me know.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: gcn11 on April 05, 2012, 10:23:10 AM
Greeting from the far north of Thompson, MB. Canada. I have viewed this forum a few times and am now excited to be a member. I have recently upgraded from a Little Chief smoker to the Bradley Digital and am excited to start using it. I have dreams of someday becoming a self declared expert sausage maker and to do some fantastic smoked fish. I am sure i will find a thousand other uses for my smoker as well. My wife thinks I'm crazy but such is life. I have used nothing but my Little Chief and my BBQ for my smoking projects thus far and I really like having the low temp control or temp control period. Not to mention that where I live I couldn't use my Little Chief for 10 months of the year lol. If any members have a must try recipe suggestion for breaking in my smoker and learning about it please let me know.
Welcome aboard. You can start out with some baby back ribs. Or maybe a pork butt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Smoker John

gcn11 Welcome aboard, you'll find a lot of great recipes & info here & here http://susanminor.org/
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Karellin

Hi, All,

I'm a noob from Cary, North Carolina and just got my Digital 4-rack. Here's my simple setup out on my deck:

Just tried my first project, smoking pork belly for bacon, and ran into a little problem. Any help would be appreciated.

A recipe suggested smoking for 2-1/2 to 3 hours at an OT of 200F, shooting for an IT of 150F. I have the Maverick ET-732 thermometer and another internal probe from Williams & Sonoma. Well, everything seemed to go okay, me keeping a sharp eye on the OT, except I reached the IT in only one hour, according to both remote probes. So I discontinued the session and the meat is now resting in my fridge.

Probably not enough smoke time, no? Why so fast to reach the critical IT?

Many thanks,

Steve

P.S. I KNOW I am going to have a lot of fun. My wife says this is the perfect hobby for me: love to cook and am a fine-detail person. :)

Keymaster

Welcome aboard Steve , Hopefully some of the bacon makers will come along and answer your question. Was you bacon on the bottom rack?