A quick note to the New Members and Visitor's

Started by Tenpoint5, February 22, 2010, 01:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ELK_HUN10

Howdy:  I am gettor and are bettor at gettin than grilling but I got a moose last year so I decided I had bettor learn more uses of the meat.  I have smoked for decades using a refigerator smoker initially, than a Cookshack Smoker the last couple of decades.  I have a large cold smoker and I decided a needed a large hot smoker.  I ordered the Bradley Digital six tray and that should work.  I found making a quality smoker, the costs of the indvidual parts added up to cost more than buying a factory built one.  After reading the comments posted here, I also ordered an Auber PIT Controller for the Bradley.  I will order a 900 watt finned heat strip and fan after I received the smoker and tried it.  That is if I think I need it.   I want to compliment the members on this forum, the information is well written and very useful.   I especially like the sense of humor that some members posess. 
The idea of using pucks turned me off on Bradley Smokers for years but now, it seems like the time to try one.   I can make about any sausage and jerky but the small smoker I have limits the quantity that I can put out.  I have enough volunteer eaters to take care of all of my successful products.   The dog gets the marginal attempts and the rest goes into the garbage.   Not too much in the garbage anymore.   I like the opinions and recipes that are posted here.  Especially the warnings about what not to do.  I already have a lot of hard knock experience and I prefer learning with the armchair method if possible.  If I had known that this site existed, I would have been bettor at smoking than what I am now.   I hate typing the lettors shown in the picture and the test at the bottom here.  Too many hoops to jump through to post here.

Tiny Tim

Welcome, Elk.  I think the word thing is only active for the first 10 or so posts you make, after that it goes away, as it deems you are a real person instead of a spamming computer.

Hope you enjoy your new smoker, and please "show and tell" with your smokes...even those not done in the Bradley.

GusRobin

Yeah is it for a limited number. So post away, wish people happy birthday in the birthday thread and before you know it you will be rid of the dreaded letters,
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Nodders

Hello to all you smoker nuts out there.....I thought I was alone with my madness!
I've been smoking fish and meat in Scotland where I grew up and latterly in England since I was 11 years old with everything from an old bread tin with a methylated burner on the outside to a galvanised waste bin with a camping gas stove under....to the OBS.

The UK isn't a big home smoking country, so I feel like the village idiot when I enthuse about home smoked food. Recent adaptations to a remote smoke box on my generator have resulted in superb cold smoked trout and cheese.

I came accross your forum whilst looking for answers to a malfunctioning motor in my SG.  I'm still no wiser and have a situation where it advances one or two pucks, then stops. The advance button doesnt do anything, so I manually load 2 at a time on to the heat pad. Not great if it's a 12 hour cold smoke.

Any ideas ?  Motor ? 

Look forward to our madness together on the forum

Cheers

Gordon (Nodders)

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Nodders on March 12, 2013, 01:03:23 PM
Hello to all you smoker nuts out there.....I thought I was alone with my madness!
I've been smoking fish and meat in Scotland where I grew up and latterly in England since I was 11 years old with everything from an old bread tin with a methylated burner on the outside to a galvanised waste bin with a camping gas stove under....to the OBS.

The UK isn't a big home smoking country, so I feel like the village idiot when I enthuse about home smoked food. Recent adaptations to a remote smoke box on my generator have resulted in superb cold smoked trout and cheese.

I came accross your forum whilst looking for answers to a malfunctioning motor in my SG.  I'm still no wiser and have a situation where it advances one or two pucks, then stops. The advance button doesnt do anything, so I manually load 2 at a time on to the heat pad. Not great if it's a 12 hour cold smoke.

Any ideas ?  Motor ? 

Look forward to our madness together on the forum

Cheers

Gordon (Nodders)
Look at this site. You will find many helpful things here
Bradley Smoker FAQ's

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

fleisch raucher

Hi, I recently purchased a Bradley OBS611 and am going thru the learning curve of how to use it. I used a home-made smoker for years , but it was a chore to keep everything going. I'm sure I'll have better luck with this on. I added a AUBER controller to the Bradley. I've done ribs and chicken so far with reasonable success. I live in central California. I am doing chicken quarters tomorrow.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: fleisch raucher on May 07, 2013, 08:55:49 PM
Hi, I recently purchased a Bradley OBS611 and am going thru the learning curve of how to use it. I used a home-made smoker for years , but it was a chore to keep everything going. I'm sure I'll have better luck with this on. I added a AUBER controller to the Bradley. I've done ribs and chicken so far with reasonable success. I live in central California. I am doing chicken quarters tomorrow.

Welcome when doing chicken keep your vent almost wide open to let the moisture out.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

baker1

Hey all
im a newbie to the whole smoker thing. I got a 4 rack original for may birthday and so far its been great. had some fail and had some great results. my first salmon turned out great!

terry08

Just a few words. If like myself, you have been smoking foods for years and think you know everything. Then this may not be the site for you. Since joining the Bradley Forum I have had to accept the fact that I only new 1/4 of what I thought I knew. If you are to smart to ask the question, then you are probably to dumb to learn.

Jump right in and enjoy the wealth of information you will find here. The Bradley will give you many years of pleasure & enjoyment. Just remember, you must treat it like a fine woman. Learn her habits, and every little quirk, never get angry with her and always treat her with respect. You are now in the company of an elite group of people. WELCOME ALL.....

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

pondee

Hi.  Just ordered the 4 shelf digital from Amazon.  Should be here Monday.  Just wanted to say Hi.  I'll be back once it is here and set up.

Ciao

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum. You do not have to wait until your tools arrive - folks are welcome here whether they smoke/cook or not and owning a Bradley is not a requirement. In my opinion, joining the forum due to having an interest is possibly the best sales pitch Bradley could have. The folks here are so friendly it is like family and everyone will be eager to tell you how easy it is, how fun it can be, and above all else are willing to help all they can.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Saber 4

Quote from: Wildcat on August 08, 2013, 03:49:50 PM
Welcome to the forum. You do not have to wait until your tools arrive - folks are welcome here whether they smoke/cook or not and owning a Bradley is not a requirement. In my opinion, joining the forum due to having an interest is possibly the best sales pitch Bradley could have. The folks here are so friendly it is like family and everyone will be eager to tell you how easy it is, how fun it can be, and above all else are willing to help all they can.

X2, everyone has welcomed me, helped me and encouraged me, you can't go wrong with a Bradley or this forum. Shoot they'll even invite a newbie like me to one of their infamous Smoke outs.....

rveal23

Hey pondee, this forum is great. Tons of knowledgable people in every type of smoking you can think of. Ask a question and you will have many people giving you their input. Can go wrong here!
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

yooper1971

I am definitely new to the smoking world.  I have tried to use my original smoker and haven't done so well.  so I will take whatever advice or suggestions you have.  oh yeah I have the 4 rack original smoker with the slide on the bottom of the main body.  if you cant tell I am getting frustrated.  I haven't figured out how long I am suppose to smoke what ever I am cooking.  i tried to cook ribs the thermometer said they were done but the ribs were tough, the wife put them in the stove to finish them and they came out alright.  anyway i am gonna stop whinning and say i look forward to any info you have

Saber 4

Quote from: yooper1971 on September 04, 2013, 06:17:23 PM
I am definitely new to the smoking world.  I have tried to use my original smoker and haven't done so well.  so I will take whatever advice or suggestions you have.  oh yeah I have the 4 rack original smoker with the slide on the bottom of the main body.  if you cant tell I am getting frustrated.  I haven't figured out how long I am suppose to smoke what ever I am cooking.  i tried to cook ribs the thermometer said they were done but the ribs were tough, the wife put them in the stove to finish them and they came out alright.  anyway i am gonna stop whinning and say i look forward to any info you have

Sorry to hear your having trouble getting your feet wet, ribs are one of the few things that you have to go by look because the meat is so thin the probe is to close to the bone to get a good reading, watch for the meat to start shrinking back from the cut end of the bone and give them a little bend with the tongs to see if they are starting to get to the doneness you are looking for. For most other meats use the IT's that are listed in the posts for the meat you are trying to make. I don't know if you've been keeping your bowl full of water and your vent open, if you are that is good if not you need to, that will eliminate some causes of unsuccessful smokes. If you haven't been reading and researching methods here on the forum I would suggest you do, then when you get ready to do a smoke take pictures and start a post and people here will help you with any specific questions you may have and it always helps to have another set of eyes on your plans. Hope this helps and gets you on the right track.