A quick note to the New Members and Visitor's

Started by Tenpoint5, February 22, 2010, 01:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Hi yooper1971;

Sorry to welcome you to the forum in this manner. You can finds many tips at Recipe Site

As to how much smoke, the below link is a guide you can use:
How Much Smoke

A couple of excellent sites to learn about low/slow cooking techniques which can be adapted to the Bradley are:
Amazing Ribs
The Virtual Bullet
They also have an excellent forum.

I mainly cook/smoke spare ribs, and I can't depend on the amount of bone exposure from the meat pull back, but the way they bend is often useful. I go by time, and then use the toothpick method; actually a bamboo skewer. As soon as the toothpick can be inserted and retracted easily they are bite off the bone (pull off the bone) ready. If you want fall off the bone continue to cook them.

What internal temperature were you going by. For spare ribs Alton Brown suggests 185 - 190°F for bite off the bone tenderness. If you been watching this season of Pit Masters, you may have noticed many of the competitors using a Thermapen to take the IT of their ribs. They would slide it through the foil into the thickest part of the slab, and were looking for IT's of 190 - 195°F for bite of the bone. While taking the temperature, you can see them slowly slide the probe in and out, and go by the lowest reading. If you don't have a Thermapen or other fast reading instant read thermometer, this technique may not work as well.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

doz759

Hi everyone thanks for all the great info on here. I'm from central MO and started smoking stix and sausage last year. Turned out pretty good I had so many request do do dear sausage thet I am in the prosses of building a bigger smoker. Used electric oven elements and built a smoke injector that seems like it going to work awsome. Next is trying to figure out the PID. Thanks again for all the great reading.

Jagray62

I've been smoking for a while now.  Smoked a turkey one thanksgiving (usually have 125 people so I wasn't the only one cooking) and now it's my responsibility to bring a smoked bird. Had a propane cabinet smoker but it finally rusted out.  I just ordered a 6 rack DBS.  I think the first thing I'll do is put in a 60 CFM fan to circulate the air, a 900 WATT heating element and an Auber PID. Also ordered the cold smoke adapter as I want to ry my hand at cold smoked salmon.

ColMacK

Hello.
I'm a newbie from Glasgow, Scotland.  Just ordered a digital 4 rack and can't wait for it to arrive. Look forward to picking your brains for tips and ideas.
Cheers.

Saber 4

Welcome from Texas, Keep your vent open and your water bowl 3/4 full and have fun smoking everything you can think of.

MrsB

Hello! I'm new to this site (and to posting on anything in general). I'm trying to find an answer to the steps on smoking salmon with the step of baking the fish for about a half hour in a mixture of pancake syrup and butter (not sure if anything else was in it). I used to have to help with making it but it was about 10 years ago and I cannot remember how to do it. I know it needs to soak in brine overnight. Do I bake it in the syrup and THEN dry it? Do I dry it first THEN bake it? Or dry, bake, dry again? Does anyone know? Thanks for any input you  may have!  :-\

devo

There are many salmon recipes here.
http://justsmokedsalmon.com/recipes/recipes/

Never heard of the recipe your asking about. Good luck as it sounds interesting for sure.

Dano

Well said Tenpoint5.  I'm fairly new and I've paid a lot of attention to the 'seasoned' (haha no pun intended) members of the Bradley smoker forums.  Definitely words of wisdom to live by here.  :)
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

swtddy

Hi Folks, Bought a new digital 6 rack yesterday.  Cant wait to get started.  Any tips and good babyback recipes love to hear them.
Good day to all

boomer2

Hi there. Just got my new digital 4 rack Bradley. Sent the kids out ice fishing and hope to be able to smoke some Northern Pike soon. Also plan to smoke deer jerky and sausage after the Xmas season winds down a bit. Have seasoned the smoker...now just need something to smoke! Oh, yes plan on smoking cheese too. Great site.

frdg12017a

Hey I got a Digital Bradley Smoker for a Gift this Christmas. First time user and first time smoker. I never signed up on a forum before.  :o

Saber 4

turbo38gn

Howdy, just found this site while under duress.. I'm brandy new to smoking, the wife just bought me a 4 rack digital. I like a little cooking now and then, pretty ok with the gas grill, but have always secretly longed to learn how to smoke. Until today, all was great. Made my first 2 batches of pork ribs, came out great. Smoked a big ole pork shoulder last night and have just learned about the Black Rain.. I'll be calling Bradley Monday about the lifted paint all over inside my smoker, but otherwise loved it until today. Actually, I still do, just nee to get this unit replaced I think. As for the black rain raining down on my pork, thought it was ruined but it looks like I cleaned off the bitter bark and the meat inside seems ok....

I look forward to participating and learning from the folks here and maybe someday be able to give it back

TedEbear

Quote from: turbo38gn on February 02, 2014, 10:46:09 AMSmoked a big ole pork shoulder last night and have just learned about the Black Rain.. I'll be calling Bradley Monday about the lifted paint all over inside my smoker, but otherwise loved it until today. Actually, I still do, just nee to get this unit replaced I think. As for the black rain raining down on my pork, thought it was ruined but it looks like I cleaned off the bitter bark and the meat inside seems ok....

Check the replies to the message you posted about this in the other section.  If you had the vent closed or mostly closed you'll get black rain.

AKGalloway

Hey everyone, this is Tony from Alaska....soon to be moving to Idaho.  Heard about this forum from a longstanding member of your community.  I am new in the Smoking game and am completely humbled by all of you and your experience.  I look forward to learning from you as I move forward on this journey.  I have always been a huge fan, and am now hoping to gain a little experience myself.