smoking in garage

Started by bears fan, February 23, 2010, 07:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bears fan

I see some people are smoking in their garage.  Do you vent the smoke outside?  Just wondering if there is anything I should know about this.  It's in the teens and low twenties here and I think smoking in the garage would be the way for me to go.

watchdog56

I just put it by the window and when the smoke stops rolling I close the window. Welcome to one of the greatest sites you will visit. A lot of help here.

bears fan

I will give it a try.  It just seemed like the garage would still get filled with smoke, but I will try it.  If it doesn't work I will move it outside.

Quarlow

the guys and gals are venting to the outside. some are getting a range hood for cheap and rigging that up. you could mount one to a board that fits in a window or go ahead and cut a hole in the wall or through the roof. some are just putting a duct from the top of the smoker and with an inline fan just vent out under the garage door.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

MPTubbs

I smoke in my garage and keep the overhead door open.

After the smoke part is done I shut the door about 3/4 shut.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

azamuner73

I was wondering this myself.  It can get pretty windy so my back probably won't be a good spot.

I was going to use some type of hose and vent it out using the window.  So will it passively move outside or does it have to be coaxed with a fan?  I am assuming the fan is a must.

Tenpoint5

I crack open the walk in door. It really does leave the garage smelling good!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

MPTubbs

I added a second smoker @ my shop and this is how I vent.

Do'n chicken quarters as we speak!

Thor

I assume you are in the Chicago area.   I had a friend that moved here to Omaha from Chicago and told me it gets windy there when a storm comes through but here in Omaha it starts blowing at 35mph and doesn't stop for 3 days, "this is insane".  

Until I build a permanent outdoor shelter I have it set up on a table in the garage and have learned to just leave the garage door wide open.   I tried propping it open 6 inches but enough of the smoke odor seeped into my sons bedroom to make me reconsider.  I have smoked with the temps around 9-10 and the recovery time is long but it works.  Just need to crank it up for a while after opening the tower door, then adjust the slider back down after it comes back to temp.  I think the wind is a bigger enemy than the cold.

If the garage is the permanent home I would look at some of the venting options.  There are lots of great pics in the posts.  The smell of the smoker beats the smell of paint thinner, but over the long haul I do not want my garage to look like the inside of the tower.

Follow all the good advice about adding boiling water, foil covered bricks, limit door openings etc.
If you got it, smoke it.

OU812

MPTubbs

Quote from: OU812 on February 24, 2010, 06:22:52 AM
Quote from: MPTubbs on February 24, 2010, 05:47:41 AM
Do'n chicken quarters as we speak!

What time is lunch?

I don't know...it's done when it's done!

:D

Trying for noon.

NePaSmoKer

I have mine in the garage unvented, just with the door open and sometimes both smokin away.

RickWL63

I pull mine just outside the garage door until the smoke stops, then push it back inside the garage, change the water, reset the timer, then go back in and wait a while.  It has been working good.  I still need to post a picture of my redneck snow cover. 

Nepas, I like the chrome cart.  I need to get one.

Caneyscud

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 24, 2010, 09:42:10 AM
I have mine in the garage unvented, just with the door open and sometimes both smokin away.

Rick, that OSB sheathing is starting to get a nice patina!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"