HILLBILLY BACON

Started by Phone Guy, April 18, 2005, 07:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phone Guy

I found this and tought I might try it out.
Mike

HILLBILLY BACON (Butt-Roast Bacon)

1 Boneless pork butt roast
1/2 Cup brown sugar
1/2 Cup Morton's Tender Quick
1/2 Cup honey (maple syrup or molasses can be substituted)

Mix the brown sugar and Tender Quick thoroughly. Slice the roast in half horizontally.
Thoroughly coat both halves with the sugar/Tender Quick mixture and rub in well.
Shake off the excess and put the roasts into large plastic ziplock bags.
Put in the refrigerator for 6-7 days to cure.
On the 3rd day pour off any pooled liquid, flip the bag over and return to the fridge.
On the last day remove the meat from the bag and rinse thoroughly in cold water.
Soak in cold water for 2 hours to remove some of the saltiness.
After soaking remove and pat dry with paper towels.
Heat the honey, molasses or maple syrup, just enough to thin and brush on the meat.
Smoke at 200 deg F. until reaching 140 deg F in the thickest part.
Cool in the fridge. When ready to eat, slice to your desired thickness and use as
you would regular bacon.

Suggested smoking wood: hickory, cherry, apple, pecan or oak

jaeger

Phone Guy,
This sounds like a great idea as an alternative to using bellies. You could use your Buckboard Bacon cure on this just as well.
Let us know what you decide to use.

As for wood, I would use hickory. I would want to taste the smoke on the thin slices.

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

Oldman

Phone Guy

Let's us know how it works out. If good we can add it to the recipe page. [^]

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Phone Guy

I have the meat curing in the fridge right now. I'll let you know.

Phone Guy

The meat is curing as we speak er.. type. Today is day 3. I will drain and turn tonight when I get home.
To monitor meat temp I was using one of those single probe digital temp devices my wife got from "Pamperd Chef", its worked ok until now. It kept reading 50+ in the fridge. I was worried about spoilage and kept turning the temp control down until it dawned on me there was a problem with the reading on the temp probe. I had another pocket sized probe and was able to read the temp was 33 or 34 degrees. I made a quick adjustment to the fridge control and am setting pretty good now. Sunday me and a piece of pork I know are gonna have a little smoke.

P.S. My Maverick 73 is on the way.

Phone Guy

The Bacon came out great!. Its so lean and the flavor is fantastic. I can not believe how easy this is with the BS. The Bacon cost me about $2.50 lb to make. Thats a lot less than the grocery store and its a lot leaner so it goes farther. Plus the entertainment value is priceless. The Maveric worked great.

deadeye

Mike

Is this all you used???? I am thinking about making some bacon is this all you used???

Thanks
Derek Canada

HILLBILLY BACON (Butt-Roast Bacon)

1 Boneless pork butt roast
1/2 Cup brown sugar
1/2 Cup Morton's Tender Quick
1/2 Cup honey (maple syrup or molasses can be substituted)

Mix the brown sugar and Tender Quick thoroughly. Slice the roast in half horizontally.
Thoroughly coat both halves with the sugar/Tender Quick mixture and rub in well.
Shake off the excess and put the roasts into large plastic ziplock bags.
Put in the refrigerator for 6-7 days to cure.
On the 3rd day pour off any pooled liquid, flip the bag over and return to the fridge.
On the last day remove the meat from the bag and rinse thoroughly in cold water.
Soak in cold water for 2 hours to remove some of the saltiness.
After soaking remove and pat dry with paper towels.
Heat the honey, molasses or maple syrup, just enough to thin and brush on the meat.
Smoke at 200 deg F. until reaching 140 deg F in the thickest part.
Cool in the fridge. When ready to eat, slice to your desired thickness and use as
you would regular bacon.

Oldman

What meat did you use? A Bostom Butt?

Did it look like this one that I boned and split?

<b>Click to Enlarge</b>

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Phone Guy

deadeye,
 Yes, thats all you need. I think a couple extra curing days would be good also.

Oldman,
 Yes, boston butt. It did look alot like that picture.

This is a pretty easy recipe. I liked the honey. I tried maple syrup and it didn't seem to make alot of diffrence.

Oldman

Well the one in the picture is the BuckBoard Bacon. While I have enjoyed them, them had just a little to much salt for me. Then again I cured it for 18 days or so~~LOL!

I will give your recipe a try!
I've just added this to the recipe site. <b><font color="red">HERE</font id="red"></b>
Thanks

Olds

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br />Well the one in the picture is the BuckBoard Bacon. While I have enjoyed them, them had just a little to much salt for me. Then again I cured it for 18 days or so~~LOL!

I will give your recipe a try!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The Hill Billy recipe is not as salty as the BBB.