Help Smoking Chicken and Pork

Started by RichardS, February 24, 2010, 11:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichardS

I got a Bradley Smoker for Christmas, and am still trying to figure out how to cook with it.  I have questions on two meats:

Chicken leq quarters: First I brined them for 4 hours.  I had the smoker set to 200 degrees (I have an Auber PID controller).  I smoked them for 2 hours, then moved the chicken to the oven at 250 degrees until my meat thermometer read 155 internal temperature (about 30 minutes).  The chicken was good, and had a great smoked flavor, but I was hoping the meat would be falling off the bones, which it did not.  How can I get it to falling off the bone tender this without drying it out?  Cook longer in the smoker at 200 degrees, cook to a higher internal temperature in the oven?  Any suggestions?

Pork loin:  We bought 2 pork loins.  I cooked one pork loin similar to the chicken.  First I brined it for 6 hours.  I had the smoker set to 200 degrees.  I smoked for 2 hours, then moved to the oven at 250 degrees until my meat thermometer read 160 internal temperature (about one hour).  At the same time, my wife cooked one in the oven at 350 degrees until the meat thermometer read 160 internal temperature (no brine).  The one I smoked had a better flavor, but the one cooked in the oven was jucier and more tender.  Any suggestions to make the smoked one jucier?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
RichardS

OU812

Was the chicken kinda rubbery? Sounds like it was under cooked.

The IT should be closer to 165. Cant say I've ever had falling off the bone tender chicken.

I try to cook the lion to an IT of 145 F to be moist and tender.

MPTubbs

Ditto what OU said.

Just got done with my 10 pounds off chicken quarters.

You left too soon OU....they were most excellent!
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

KyNola

RichardS,
I'm not trying to tell you what to do so please don't take it as such.  200 is a little low in the safety factor for me when it comes to poultry.  The brine may help a bit but smoking at 200 and then only taking it to 155 IT is risky in my opinion.  When I smoke poultry in the Bradley, it's going to be at 250 minimum and finish to an IT of 165.  If you're going to finish poultry in your house oven(which I do all the time) you can finish it at 325-350.  There is really no reason to continue to cook the poultry at a low temp.

KyNola

OU812

Quote from: MPTubbs on February 24, 2010, 11:47:57 AM
Ditto what OU said.

Just got done with my 10 pounds off chicken quarters.

You left too soon OU....they were most excellent!

Had to go, my phone wouldnt quit ringin till I got every one straightened out. Didnt get lunch till 2:00, your chicken looked and smelled good though.

Oh ya, Richard.
I cook poultry at 250 F like KyNola stated.
You dont need slow and low on the birds.

RichardS

Thanks so much for all the comments.  I am going to try again this weekend.
Richard
RichardS