Heating element

Started by alnash, February 25, 2010, 04:13:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alnash

Ive been reading alot about using a extra element to make recovery time faster after you have opened the door and also to get oven up to temp. I was just wondering why you can't use a 900 watt heater instead of the 500 watt that comes with it. Grainger has a 900 watt heater with end terminals with a density of 45 watts per sq.in its 12" long and has 11" mounting holes #2XEF3 has anyone tryed this.  ???http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=900+watt+heating+element&op=search&Ntt=900+watt+heating+element&N=0&sst=subset

squirtthecat

lumpy

Very.........thats a good question.

squirtthecat

HawkeyeSmokes

That mod has been done. Here's a link to it.

900 Watt Element

IMHO adding the extra Bradley element is easier and less cost.
HawkeyeSmokes

OU812

My understanding is that a finned element needs air flow through it or it will prematurely burn up.

Just my 2 cents

alnash

Hey thanks for all the info. My problem with putting a fan in for air flow is this might be turning a smoker into a high price oven. No more smoke than you get off the bisquettes im afraid that you will be moving the smoke out to fast. Looks like just adding a second element is the way to go even if thats necessary. I did buy a auber pid just to control the temp better and in doing this i think i can cut the smoking time down due to  very little temp swing.