Looking forward to doing Salmon

Started by Tommy3Putts, March 02, 2010, 05:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy3Putts

Hi all

One of the reasons I decided to get the Bradley was its ease of use for doing Smoked Salmon.  My wife and I enjoy salmon.  I either grill, broil it or bake it.  While I've done a lot of smoking I  have never done salmon in a smoker and now am looking forward to giving it a try in the near future.  I am especially looking forward to trying Kummok's recipe.  While I am a fan of lox, I'm in no real hurry to try that yet.

I live in Virginia so my access to salmon will be limited to either our Costco or the local "fresh" fish place.

With that background I'd like everyone's thoughts on the following questions:

--Has anyone had any success with doing a few hours of cold smoke on salmon and then throwing them on the grill?  My wife loves the grilled salmon at one of our local restaurants and I'm sure they apply some smoke at some point in their cooking process.  If I do that would I still need to do a brine before hand?

--If I do Kummok's recipe and then freeze them in vacuum packs.  How does Kummok reheat them?  What are the tips to avoiding dried-out salmon?

--If I do Kummok's recipe, is it okay to do the drying out process in the refrigerator uncovered?  In our summer months the salmon would go bad rather quickly around here.  Most importantly, my cat would get real fat real quick!

Looking forward to doing my first salmon in the coming weeks.

Thanks T3Ps

aces-n-eights

Hey T3Ps, you're going to really like Kummok's recipe for smoked salmon.  It's my go-to method...

I'll give your questions a shot...

Q1.  Not sure to be honest - never tried it myself -  but a bit of cold smoke before the grill sounds like a good idea.  I would probably use a light amount of dry rub or seasoning instead of brine, but mainly because brining takes some time.  Worth a try, i'd say - - and i think i WILL give it a try this summer!

Q2.  After smoking, vac-packing and freezing, i don't re-heat.  Just thaw and eat room temp or refrigerator temp.  The fish will be fully cooked so safe - at least i haven't killed anyone yet  ;D

Q3.  Sure!  Pellicle formation will work fine in the frig.

Good luck and enjoy; let us know how it goes!
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

FLBentRider

In answer to Q1:

I've taken a salmon fillet, seasoned it like it would for the oven/grill, and smoked it at 250F for about 40 minutes or until it looked done.

It was great.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!