whole turkey

Started by mow_delon, February 25, 2010, 11:01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mow_delon

Got a couple of whole turkeys left from the Holidays and was wondering how people would choose to smoke them.  They are pre-brined birds.  One is 13.5 lbs and the other is about 12 lbs.  Would I be better off cutting off the wings and legs?  Or maybe de-boning the bird and making breast fillets?  Not really sure what to do, so any advise would be apprieciated.

Thanks.

(Anyone keeping tabs on my latest posts, yeas I am cleaning out the freezer and looking for ideas)

OU812

A 12 to 14 lb turkey is perfect for smokin.

I would keep them whole, inject with some Creole butter, you can get that at almost every grocery store around here. I make my own injections and butter is the main ingredient. Put the birds in the preheated smoker and smoke/cook with a cabnet temp of 250 F with the vent wide open. Smoke with 3 hr Alder or Apple and pull out the bird when the IT hits 165 F

If you want crispy skin pull the bird out of the smoker when the IT hits 145 F and put in the BE or on the cook indirect on the grill, or in the oven set at 325 F and which ever you do pull out when the IT hits 165 F

DTAggie

OU:  I can't get my OBS up to 250 when its about 40* oustide like it is right now.  Usually only gets up to 225 to 230.  Going to do an 11 lb. tomorrow.  How many hours do you think it will take to hit 165* IT?

KyNola

DTA,
You can always preheat your smoker as high as you can get it to go(you said you can't get to 250), apply the 3 hours of smoke and then transfer the turkey to your house oven and roast like any normal turkey.

You won't have to fight inconsistent cooking temps due to inclimate conditions outside.

DTAggie

thought about that, but i like more smoke.  In my Brinkman barrel smoker I will keep wood on it for like 6 hours and its great.  This will be my first turkey in the OBS.  OU suggests apple, on the barrel I use hickory, any other suggestions?

squirtthecat

I've done an Apple/Pecan mix on turkey, and it turned out nice.

KyNola

DTA,
I've used hickory in the Bradley on turkey and it turns out great but then again I'm a KY boy where hickory is king.  I may be wrong but I think you'll be satisfied with 3 hours of Bradley hickory smoke on your bird.

No matter how much smoke you decide to put on it, make sure the vent is 100% open the entire time.

FLBentRider

I've done four hours of Hickory on a Turkey, as well as Maple, Apple and Cherry.

The Hickory was a little strong, but we like it that way.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

DTAggie

Thanks KY, will let everyone know how it turns out.  I do have some creole butter injection I picked up at Academy the other day.  They also had a brine kit - premixed ingrediants and a bag to put it and the bird all in.  Can't recall the brand off top of my head.  Has anyone tried one of these?

duncanshannon

making my first turkey tomorrow based on this thread. not sure if it was me or what, but i had a hard time finding the basics on 'here is how to smoke a turkey'.

I have a 12 lb fresh bird, going to inject it with "creole butter" from the grocery store.

If you inject, should you still brine? 

also, i cant seem to find a cooking time estimate per pound... guessing 12+ hours at this point.

FLBentRider

I've brined, but not injected.

If I was to do both, I would brine first, then inject.

Cook time depends on the size of the bird, I think you are looking at 6-8 hours @250F, maybe a little longer.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!