Italian Sausage

Started by Phone Guy, April 19, 2005, 06:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phone Guy

I have a bunch of Ital. Sausage I made myself. When I made these I did not have a BS so I didn't think about curing. Do you recommend smoking these in the BS without curing salt in them?

Mike

Thunder Fish

I buy mine from the store and just put them in them for about 4 hrs or until internal temp is around 150-160 ish.One of MY favorites so far[:p]
Terry

Phone Guy

Chez Bubba

PG,

I'm not an expert in this arena so if any of the more knowledgable guys correct me, listen to them. My understanding of the curing process is that you do it for meats that you cold smoke, then cook later. The cure acts as a preserving agent since you're not cooking the meat, simply flavoring it.

If you want to hot smoke some fresh or frozen italians, no cure or preservatives needed. I have done this & they are very tasty![:p]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Thunder Fish

Thunder Fish

Mine would be a hot smoke than eat them, aahhh they will go quickley any way.I did 4 dz and they left the fridge with in 2 days[:D] These would be the breakfest type sausage
Terry

Phone Guy

Well when I got home last night I took a couple packs of italian sausage out and defrosted. Put them in the BS at about 210 with 2 hours smoke. 2 hicory and 1 misquite per hour. They did not take the full smoke, they were done in about 1 hour and 45 min. They are delicious.
Thunder Fish, you must have had the BS at a pretty low temp to take 4 hours. I didn't expect them to be done so soon.

JJC

Hi PG,

I usually smoke sausage for 2-2.5 hr at around 220-240, and they come out fine. Since your Pamperd Chef gauge was on the fritz, were you using the temp gauge on the BS as your guide?  Some members report that the BS gauge reports a lower temp than actual.  

As for safety, there's no need to worry about curing since you are cooking the sausage.  Just make sure the internal temp of the sausage is at least 145F, preferably 155F, when you take it out of the smoker.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Phone Guy

Thanks,
I was going by the BS temp. I may have been at 250 or more, not sure now. The sausages came out great.

Thunder Fish

I try not to get the BS temp above 210-220 for those.After doing some cheese a few times than some burger jerky this weekend I'm thinkin the smoker is on the fritz heat wise. [:([V]

Crazy Canuck

Phone Guy
I prefer to use lower temps smoker temp of 160 degrees F to achieve an internal temp of 152 degrees. This will not render the fat and I find it allows the sausage to take more smoke. My own preference.

Addicted To Smokin'[:p][:p][:p]
DanR
Fort St. John BC