3.5 lb Pork Butt.

Started by Smokey the Bear., February 26, 2010, 08:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokey the Bear.

How long to smoke a 3.5 lb pork butt, just a rule of thumb so it will be close. I am using a dry rub then wrap overnight then CYM with more rub before it goes in  and a little injection of some of the rub with butter to help it flow into the meat. Or should i unwrap it now and apply CYM and inject and then wrap it up. It is going in on sunday. Thanks

PS: I prefer a good bark for the extra crunch after it is pulled which also tastes wonderful.

Please share your wisdom.
If it has eyes and a head,I would probably eat it. Eh

FLBentRider

Quote from: Smokey the Bear. on February 26, 2010, 08:48:09 AM
How long to smoke a 3.5 lb pork butt, just a rule of thumb so it will be close. I am using a dry rub then wrap overnight then CYM with more rub before it goes in  and a little injection of some of the rub with butter to help it flow into the meat. Or should i unwrap it now and apply CYM and inject and then wrap it up. It is going in on sunday. Thanks

PS: I prefer a good bark for the extra crunch after it is pulled which also tastes wonderful.

Please share your wisdom.

That's a small butt...  ::)

I would think that it should not take as long as the 8 pounders, but I would cook it at 205F instead of 225F or 250F since you don't have that much mass.

12 to 14 hours is probably in the ballpark. I take mine to 195-200F IT.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smokey the Bear.

I know that it is a small butt, I am the only one that will eat it. The wife is basically a vegetarian ( hate the thought of it though ) but i do all the grocery shopping and cooking so i can manuever some meat into almost every meal. Because the butt is so small i might put a pork loin in with it , i might as well fill up the space on the rack. I will probably smoke some beans beneath the meat , that the wife loves.

Thor

No need for her to know about all those flavor drippings falling onto the beans.  I am also basically a vegetarian; for breakfast.  Well, except when I can score some bacon.
If you got it, smoke it.

Smokey the Bear.

I forgot to take pics again butt the but is in the freezer now waiting for the right opportunity to be reheated and pulled with some BBQ sauce. Yummy.

There is no need to let her know about the meat drippings going into the beans. I am trying to convert her slowly with low doses of smoked delights. 8)