first time using the new smoker

Started by bears fan, February 24, 2010, 07:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bears fan

I got a 6.6 pound pork butt to smoke.  Going to put a dry tender quick rub on it overnight and then rub it with a dry rub for smoking in the morning.  Wish me luck.  If this doesn't sound right, let me know.  Wanted to do a brine, but see that is suppose to sit in the fridge for 24 hours, so going to dry just the dry tender cure rub overnight.  I'll smoke it for 4 hours and then let it cook slow and low until it gets to 190 degrees.

Tommy3Putts

Sounds like a good plan.  Best of luck on the smoke.  Let us know how it goes!

Toker

Sorry i think i don't understand your point, tender quick is for curing for several days, we usually don't put it on pork butt unless i did not understood your plan pls explain a bit more. If you do, your butt will taste like ham and have a pink look. I would suggest a regular dry rub unless like i said that i did not understand your plan. If so, pls forgive me.

bears fan

I'll rinse the tender cure off before putting the dry rub on in the morning before smoking.  I guess we will see how it turns out.  Sometimes the best food is made by a mistake.  Time will tell how it turns out. 

FLBentRider

If the bark tastes a little like ham, the tender quick will do that.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!