The good news & a question

Started by SmokinMoe, April 21, 2005, 04:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinMoe

First, let me apologize for taking over psdubl07's post on his ribs.

Second, you guys rock!! After I got over my depression last night, lol, I cranked the Bradley up this morning after taking the advice of unplugging the guru and just letting the Bradley do its thing.  After about 40 minutes with nothing in inside, the Bradley went to 300 degrees. Woo hoo, I have NEVER seen it go that high with such ease.
The heating element was glowing nicely.  I didn't feel like I had to go any further temp.-wise because it went up so fast and I have never been able to get past about 225 and that was one time.

Now, that brings me to the brink of depression again, so I have some questions for you guru users.  I don't want to call Shotgun Fred and look stupid, afterall, those guys are engineers and all!!

My first question is:  When you plug in the part that goes from the guru power raptor (where all three cords plug in and I am talking about the part that goes in the bottom slot, not the one with the probe and the clip, and not the one for the power outlet, but the one that goes to the guru) does your fit nice and snug against the competitor's side like the top two plugs do?  Sorry about the wording, but mine plugs in, but won't go all the way and stops about 3/16 from the edge of the plug in.  In other words, I still see some silver.  I was wondering if this may be the problem or if I should look for something else?

I am going to try it in ramp off too, once it cools down.  I just wondered if this might be part of the problem.  I am going to sit back down and read the instructions again and nsxbill's instructions he gave me when I first hooked it up.

I am glad to know it isn't the Bradley, because I figured I might as well learn to use the slider anyway.  At least I know that one part of the equation is ok.

Any tips will surely be appreciated!!
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

psdubl07

Moe, no problem on taking over the thread.  If anyone is interested in my success w/ ribs, they will see the thread title and read my post, so no worries.

I wish I could help you w/ the Guru, but I don't own one, sorry!

nsxbill

Michelle(moe),

With my guru and Procom4, I have experience similar problem of loose fitting.  Don't know if this has an impact on the smoker reaching high temps.  I typically don't want to go to that temp.  I have modified my settings so I get longer pulse times on the heat and set my Procom4 at these settings:

Proportional Band = 8
Offset = 5
Cycle Time = 8

This was a suggestion of another Procom4 owner (Can't remember who).  Seems to get to temp quicker.

I have achieved pit temp of 285° without anything in the box on a trial that I did after making those changes.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SmokinMoe</i>
<br />
My first question is:  When you plug in the part that goes from the guru power raptor (where all three cords plug in and I am talking about the part that goes in the bottom slot, not the one with the probe and the clip, and not the one for the power outlet, but the one that goes to the guru) does your fit nice and snug against the competitor's side like the top two plugs do?  Sorry about the wording, but mine plugs in, but won't go all the way and stops about 3/16 from the edge of the plug in.  In other words, I still see some silver.  I was wondering if this may be the problem or if I should look for something else?

Any tips will surely be appreciated!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I'm glad the BS is performing as it should.

My plug fixs snugly, and goes completely into the Raptor. Sometimes I have to twist and push at the same time to get it to fully go in. You can't push too hard, because it feels as if the side of the box will collapse in. I believe a loose fitting would interfere with the Raptor's ability to receive and send information.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SmokinMoe

I just talked with Shotgun Fred with the BBQgurus and he said that the ends are interchangeable and that I can just switch them around for a better fit even though the label says one thing.  He said they label the cords to help out newbies, but, I could change them if I was concerned about the fit.
He is a VERY INTERESTING guy to talk to and that phone call just cost me alot of money!! I haven't bought it yet, but I will be purchasing the procom 4 probably along with some other stuff.  
I was able to get the competitor to take the cabinet temp up to 300 this afternoon with nothing in it.  I think I may have had my wires crossed and that thing for the pucks was actually doing the heating and not the heating element.  Is that possible?  LOL  I reread Bill's instructions from another poster and went out to check out my wiring job.  I unplugged alot of stuff this morning to check it out, so I can't exactly remember how I originally had it.  I just can't understand why I haven't been able to get results like this before.  EVERYTHING was a struggle for that temp., so I am sucking it up and possibly admitting I had things wrong.  Not sure, but, willing to take the blame.
Now that life is better, who wants to loan me some money for those new toys?
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

Habanero Smoker

The important thing is that you resolved the problem.

While I am at it I will confess. When I first got the Raptor/Guru I hooked it up wrong. I plugged the smoke generator into the Raptor. This would interrupt the puck advance cycle, and I only discovered my error when the Raptor disrupted the puck advance in the middle of the next puck dropping down. The puck got jammed, and stopped the rest of the puck from advancing. It was about two hours before I realized the problem. What a mess it was to try to unjam the generator while the heating plate was hot.[:(]

Sorry, I can't contribute to your toy fund. My motto is "Toys "R" Mine".[;)] I need to get one myself[:)]

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">He is a VERY INTERESTING guy to talk to and that phone call just cost me alot of money!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Two months back I went with my ISP and now my phone is voice over IP. It has 911, a battery back up and I call toll-free to all of the islands and the US. $40.00 per month.

My operations manager went with a 3rd party company and it took for ever for him to get hooked up--all the while having to pay for two service. Plus he has no 911 or battery backup.  However, even if the regular phone service is off in this area those phones will work for 911.

Whenever I talk to someone new I always ask how clear do I sound... it sets everyone back when I tell them I talking via the internet.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

JJC

Hey, Olds, I think Moe meant the call cost her a lot of $$ because Fred talked her into buying another expensive toy, not that the call itself was expensive [;)][:D][;)] !  OTOH, you may have hit on an idea for Moe to save money for her new toy . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

nsxbill

Fred really is an interesting guy.  I think when were discussing what I wanted before he built the Raptor for me (and now a lot of us), I must have spent several one-half hour calls just shooting the bull...something that I think both of us are famous for.  He is really into smoking and making money at it.  The best of things...he likes his job, and gets to smoke a lot of meat, and gets paid!  Life is good!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
  The best of things...he likes his job, and gets to smoke a lot of meat, and gets paid!  Life is good!

Bill

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Just like my Daddy said:  "Get a job that you like and you'll never work a day in your life."  Works for me! [:D][:)][:D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA