Venison Ham

Started by Ketch22, March 04, 2010, 05:17:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ketch22

Hi Everyone

I Have a real small Venison ham about 2# .I am looking for a recipe or rub,cure to use to smoke this.I have a 6 rack digital Bradleysmoker. I have done jerky and snack sticks and some hard boiled egg with HICKORY SMOKE  the egg's were real good

Thanks for any help Ketch

RAF128

Quote from: Ketch22 on March 04, 2010, 05:17:08 AM
Hi Everyone

I Have a real small Venison ham about 2# .I am looking for a recipe or rub,cure to use to smoke this.I have a 6 rack digital Bradleysmoker. I have done jerky and snack sticks and some hard boiled egg with HICKORY SMOKE  the egg's were real good

Thanks for any help Ketch

I'd like to hear the answer too.   It would be another option for deer meat.

Ketch22

This is off a small deer it is going to be like Veal. It was hit by a car just didn't didn't wont to leave it laying there.The rest of it was real good but didn't have a smoker then.

Tenpoint5

As soon as I can get a chance this the recipe that I am going to use on a big Doe ham that I have in the freezer. You might want to give it a try. I have used it on pork hams with stellar results.

Home Cured Ham

The Brine/Pickle for Ham that I used is
5 quarts ice water (38-40*F)
1 pound of Salt (I use Kosher)
1 cup Powdered Dextrose
2/3 cup Insta Cure #1

The recipe calls for the ham to be injected 10% by weight. I used 15%. To do the math here is the formula and explanation of how to do it.

Pump injecting formula is generally this...
15% x Xoz = oz per pump

My ham is around 22 lb or 352 oz; being 16oz per pound.
This now gives me  an easy plug in formula

.15 x 352oz =52.8oz needed for pumping

The injector I use holds 4oz at a time. Rounding off I get this...
52/4=13 or 52.8/4=13.2

So that means 13 full injections, or 13.2 if you wish to get technical, but the .2 isn't a problem

Mix the brine in the bucket. Then after injecting and making sure to get in the shank and around all the bones in the ham. Submerge the ham in the bucket and refrigerate for 5-7 days. Place in stockinette and hang in smokehouse.

Smoking
Hang Ham in preheated smoker to 120* and hold for 12 Hours (Vent Full Open) then
Increase temp to 140* start smoke and smoke for 8 Hours (Vent at Half) then
Increase temp to 170* until IT of 142* For a fully cooked ham, Hold until the IT reaches 152-155*
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

RAF128

Powdered dextrose?   what is it and does it go by any other name?

azamuner73

Quote from: RAF128 on March 04, 2010, 06:55:27 AM
Powdered dextrose?   what is it and does it go by any other name?

Dextrose is Corn Sugar.  You can get it at any place that sells brewing supplies or maybe even one of those bulk spice places.

Caribou

Cabela's even carries it now, too.
If you have one near by to can order with in-store pick up so you are spared the shipping costs.
Carolyn

OU812

If you cant find dextrose you can replace it with 1/4 cup sugar.

Sugar is allot sweeter than dextrose, try to use organic sugar.

Ketch22

Hi 
Thanks to all the reply. I will try this Recipe. I have to order the things I need from Cabala's they are 2 HR away if I can't fine them around here. Like I sad I am new to this smoking thing  so far I real like allot. One more thing wife's not big on thing that are smoked mite try to use something litter like apple I hope she will like it

OU812

Quote from: Ketch22 on March 04, 2010, 10:51:08 AM
One more thing wife's not big on thing that are smoked mite try to use something litter like apple I hope she will like it

How many hr and what type of smoke you usein?

Ketch22

She just don't like smoke. If I get smoked bacon at the store she will eat it but she don't like it or smoked ham she eat it. I don't think the thing you get at the food store are as good I am going to try something like pork chops to see if she likes it

ketch

Tenpoint5

Then start her off with 1-2 hours of apple on a pork loin @ 225* until you get an Internal Temp of 148*. Pull the loin out and tent for 20 minutes on a cutting board then slice into your chops and serve. I would also add rubbing the loin prior to smoking with cheap yellow mustard and your favorite rub.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on March 04, 2010, 11:44:14 AM
Then start her off with 1-2 hours of apple on a pork loin @ 225* until you get an Internal Temp of 148*. Pull the loin out and tent for 20 minutes on a cutting board then slice into your chops and serve. I would also add rubbing the loin prior to smoking with cheap yellow mustard and your favorite rub.

You can do the same thing with a deer loin, good stuff.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: OU812 on March 04, 2010, 11:50:38 AM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on March 04, 2010, 11:44:14 AM

You can do the same thing with a deer loin, good stuff.
I forgot about that!! Just drape some bacon across the top.

Don't worry there will not be any mustard taste after the smoke. The mustard just helps the rub stick to the meat and forms a nice crust.

MRH

I did a deer loin  back when I first got my Bradley using the Buckboard Bacon here is the post.  A flash from the past... ;D
  I am sure it would work with the ham very well too!
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4129.msg36223#msg36223