Biltong Snack Sticks

Started by Yooper Jim, March 04, 2010, 07:52:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yooper Jim

Anyone ever tried it?  Was thinking biltong spices plus cure#1 with a spray of vinegar during drying.  Pro's or Con's?  Just a thought.
Jim

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Slamdunk

I was going to ask what the difference between Biltong and Jerky was, but thought I'd try Wikipedia.
Here is an intesting take on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biltong

So, it tastes different than jerky, but in which way?? Is there any other food that you think it tastes like??

FLBentRider

To me it tasted like jerky with the tang of Vinegar and the spice of coriander.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

bpnclark

I ate a lot of Biltong in South Africa. It's just like Jerky. Some was in strips and some was in shredded chunks. The "real" difference is, "real" Biltong is made out of Kudu or Impala or some other African animal that is just not available around here (unless you go to Texas!) Thats where the "real" flavor is.

Plus, I think it's a lot like the US Jerky around here. Everyone has their own recipe and their own "spin" on how to make it.

But if you ever have the chance, eat as much Kudu Biltong as you can. Because they take it away from you at the airport! It is the best!

Kirri

Do you have a plan for your Biltong box...the fan to get the air moving, a light bulb inside, and holes so the air moves out covered by a fine screen or something...just would like to make one, so if you do not mind.

VI_Smoker

I have eaten my fair share of biltong and now make it as well, IMHO, apart from the spices the biggest difference is the thickness of the cut, jerky is typically thin, about 1/4'' of fresh muscle whereas biltong is typically 1/2'', so the resulting dried product is thicker and in some cases still a little soft in the middle (depending on taste).  Biltong will often also have a small amount of fat along the edge of the meat.
I use a 20'' square by 4' high box to dry my biltong.  There is a false bottom, covered in foil with small holes to facilitate air flow, about a foot off the bottom.  Between the bottom of the box and the false bottom I have a 100 watt light bulb to provide a small amount of heat.  The biltong is hung on dowels and there is a 120v cooling fan attached to the side, near the top, of the box to draw the air in through bottom past the light bulb and across the meat.