what to cold smoke?

Started by bears fan, March 05, 2010, 06:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bears fan

I'm going to cold smoke some cheese tomorrow and wondering what else I could smoke at the same time. 
Anyone have some ideas?

pensrock

pepperoni, garlic cloves, salt

bears fan

need a little more detail.  How do you smoke those items?  I don't know if I've ever had any of those items smoked before.  I'll give it a try, but need to know if you use sliced peperoni's, remove the skin on the garlic?

Quarlow

With the salt just get some commercial coffee filters and pour it on them. Then smoke away. On the garlic just separate the cloves, then trim off the bottoms. Put them in a tea towel and roll them around and the skins should come off.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

pensrock

I like Hormel brand pepperoni for smoking. Get a stick of pepperoni, cut it so it fits the rack, remove casing and smoke for 2-3 hours.

Paddlinpaul

Last cold smoke I did I had cheese and salmon in there together. I used the cured lox recipe that came in the book with the smoker (also available on the Bradley website).
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

stillsmoking

So what are your times and temps on the garlic and salt?  I am curious about this because I hot smoke garlic quite a bit to use in chili and various other things but am thinking the cold smoked stuff would have a whole different flavor.  Haven't tried salt yet but could see some good things coming from that.

OU812

I like to cold smoke steaks, just as you would cheese.

When New York or Sirloin is on sale I buy the whole side, cut into steaks, smoke, then vacuum seal and freeze for a later date.

After the smoke I will save a couple, wrap in plastic and sit in fridge over night to let the smoke soak in before they go on the grill.

pensrock

I have not done salt but garlic heads take a while, at least four hours.