salt and cheese going in

Started by bears fan, March 06, 2010, 12:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bears fan

Perfect day for a cold smoke.  In the low 30's, no wind.  Bought some mozzarella, swiss, colby, and extra sharp cheddar and will give it a try to see how it turns out.  Going to smoke with apple wood for 2 hours.  I'll pull the swiss out at 1 1/2 hours.  Also going to try some salt just because it's a waste to not try something else.  It will be hard to wait the 2 weeks before trying the cheese!

bears fan

And the finished product all sealed up.

KevinG

That's a pretty gutsy move leaving that smoker out front for everyone to get a good whiff. I'm surprised the cheese survived - not to mention the smoker! Nice color on the cheese!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

NePaSmoKer

pensrock

Looks good, how warm did it get inside the smoker? I like to stay 80-90 F.

bears fan

It stayed within the range of 80-90 degrees.  I cracked the door a few times to cool it a bit.

I like to taunt the neighbors with the smell! 

I'm anxious to try the finished product.  13 days and counting.

mow_delon

Was wondering how your salt turned out.  I have now smoked the same cup of salt on three seperate smokes, for a total of about 8 hours and after this last time was the first time I could really taste a difference from unsmoked salt.  I thought that I would try one more time to see if the flavor is worth it and if not, give up.

Waltz

I have had the same experience with salt.  Lots of smoke time but little smoke flavour.  I don't use enough salt on regular food to give it any smoked flavour from the salt I have smoked.  I guess if I used it when curing it may impart some flavour but if I want smoked flavour in my cured food I can smoke it.   I would be interested in hearing others experience on this.

Waltz.

Tenpoint5

Boy's I have found that when smoking my Sea Salt that it is like the cheese. I have to let it age. I place it back in a glass bottle with a cork on top and let it sit for several days before using. You will see the color darken as it ages as well. If you think about it your smoking a rock and the smoke needs time to do its thing.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Waltz

Thanks 10.5.  I will give it another try. I had just left the smoked salt out in an open container but I will re-smoke it and seal it to let the flavour develop as you recommend.

Waltz

bears fan

Mine did have some flavor.  Nothing that was that great that I can really taste it when I put it on food.

mow_delon

Hey 10.5,
How long do you usually smoke your salt?  I will try the sealed glass bottle thing and see what happens.

Tenpoint5

I think the last time I did it it was smoked for 3 hours with some country style ribs under it.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!