charcoal vs bradley

Started by jjesso, March 03, 2004, 01:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjesso

What's better?  Charcoal smoker with offset firebox or Bradley smoker?

Fuzzybear

I don't think you'll like the answer....

In my opinion, <font color="blue"><font size="2">it's a preference thing</font id="size2"></font id="blue">...if you like the taste that charcoal imparts in the way of flavor, go with the charcoal offset smoker - they must be good - lot's of pro's of BBQ tourneys use them.
I don't think of them so much as a smoker but more like a large barbecue with the firebox off to the side.

Obviously, my preference is for the Bradley...the way it smolders the wood to allow a more even smoking of the meat/cheese I find to be way better than the charcoal. And, I don't have to keep stoking the fire (1) to keep the heat going and (2) to generate smoke

I think they both have a place and if you've got room, why not get them both?

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

jjesso

MallardWacker

JJ,

After owning a few different types of smokers, this my pitence of a opinion.  

The biggest advantage to the BS is I have have fun smoking again.  I got tired of chasing the temp all over the place, and the mess was getting a bit of a chore. The worry about the temp is over, I can keep it where I want it-for ever-I can even go to bed and not worry about it.  The mess is minimal, I pitch the grills and drip pan in a cheap plastic container I bought from wally world with hot water and soap, brush-clean, wipe down the smoker, put the cover on and it's done. Good even smoke, very consistant smoke, as much or as little as you want.  

Only draw back I see is (small draw back), buying the wood for the BS.  Bradly is the only company that makes these pucks,  I think it could be cheaper and I would like to see alternate vendors. About $6 for 5 hrs of smoke. Everyone tells me I'm cheap anyway.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

jjesso

Ya, that is the only drawback that I see as well.

I'm pretty sure I will go with the BS because of the even consistent heat and smoke.

Thanks

Sheriff

jjeso,

All the above is true, and what I find to be the best is I use the Bradley smoker more often because it is much easier to use and clean up.  I find that a big plus.  I have used the Bradley once a week since I've had it...hope this helps..

Sheriff

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fuzzybear</i>
<br />go with the charcoal offset smoker - they must be good - lot's of pro's of BBQ tourneys use them.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Yes they do, to sell to the masses who show up because they need capacity. You'd be amazed at how many of them use a Bradley to cook what they turn into the judges!

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

trout

I have owned both and all I can say is that now I have put a pork butt in at 5am, went to work, came home for a late lunch, shredded my pork, and brought it back to work for a pile of happy people.  Never would have been possible with my offset pit.  And good luck trying to smoke summersausage or the like without overheating it in a pit.  If you can only afford one (and yes a pit worth buying at all is at least $400), I would go for the Bradley convenience.[:)]

Let your trout go and smoke a salmon instead.

Bassman

My vote is for the Bradley,had one since Christmas and use it almost every week.all the above is true!

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Chez Bubba

JJ,

Seems everybody replying stresses "convenience", it's true. If ya want to spend an entire day drinkin' suds with the buds, get an offset box. If you want to spend your weekend your way & still have an awesome meal with little effort, buy the Bradley.

There's a teeny bit of a learning curve, but use The Force! Don't open the door! (Unless it's to convince your neighbor to pick up the phone & order one from us.)[:D][:D][8D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

jjesso

Thanks ya'll.

Bradley's It!

SAMMY C

[8D] I have owned my bradley for about 7 mths and I have had no regrets I love it. I have smoked bacon, fish, ribs, butt,cheese and nuts and only had one bad experience and that was with London broil. I guess there are some things you can smoke to long!!