which Auber for digital 4 rack

Started by OTB, March 07, 2010, 05:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OTB

The temp swings are driving me crazy.  Even setting it to 250F it just stays at about 200F.  I am in CA so it is not the outside temp that is an issue.

Think I will order the PID before I get my tax return and pay off my credit card.

I see that the dual probe is not in stock or available now.  Do I really need the dual probe for the 4 rack?

What current model do you recommend I buy?

HawkeyeSmokes

Either the single probe or dual probe will work for you.

The single can be used to cook ramping by time only.

The dual probe can ramp by time, temperature or both.
HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

The dual is a help for sausage and salmon (those have to be ramped).

The dual is nice for a single item in the smoker.

You can set it for IT temp and have the smoker reduce the heat or shut down when IT is reached.

On more than product in the smoker you probaly would want to go with a time setting.

My 1 1/2 cents.

OTB

If I understand you correctly, the dual probe uses one probe for food temp and one for cabin temp?

Is that correct?

If I am using another (remote) probe thermometer (such as the maverick et-7) then there is no reason to go with the dual probe Auber...just the single probe?

HawkeyeSmokes

You are correct OTB. The dual probe uses one probe for the food temp and one for the cabinet temp.

Here's a link to more info. The Auber PID
HawkeyeSmokes

OTB

from the auber site, I don't see an option to add ANY of these to shopping cart.  Does that mean they are not in stock?  Am I stuck with ebay (which is actually more expensive)

classicrockgriller

Quote from: OTB on March 08, 2010, 06:16:45 PM
from the auber site, I don't see an option to add ANY of these to shopping cart.  Does that mean they are not in stock?  Am I stuck with ebay (which is actually more expensive)

If you want the dual, you may have to wait a month or so.

The single should be in stock.

OTB

You are correct...I was looking at the main page that didn't have "add to cart" but on the product page if you scroll all the way down there is the correct button.

Is this the correct one?  Model: WS-1200CPH

UNLESS someone can convince me that the dual probe is better than using the Model: WS-1200CPH and a maverick probe thermometer in the food.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: OTB on March 08, 2010, 06:28:46 PM
You are correct...I was looking at the main page that didn't have "add to cart" but on the product page if you scroll all the way down there is the correct button.

Is this the correct one?  Model: WS-1200CPH

UNLESS someone can convince me that the dual probe is better than using the Model: WS-1200CPH and a maverick probe thermometer in the food.

If you have read all you need and are happy with your choice, I'm not gonna try to change yor mind.

OTB

Can you use the dual probe with only the single probe (temp only, without meat temp??)  Basically, do you have a choice to use the dual probe without the second probe for meat temp will it work EXACTLY like the single probe modes (Model: WS-1200CPH).  I don't mind spending the extra $40 or so dollars, but can I use it the same or not? If the dual probe gives me the exact same thing as the single probe, but I have the "Option" to use the second meat probe, then it is a no brainer, I will get the dual probe.

classicrockgriller

You can if you set the Auber to Time instead of temp which is what I do when I smoke more than one thing.

I think the difference is $30.

You answered you question.

OTB

Thanks...then I can't see any downside to waiting for the dual probe to be available again.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: OTB on March 08, 2010, 08:25:59 PM
Thanks...then I can't see any downside to waiting for the dual probe to be available again.

I knew you would work you way thru what you really wanted.

They are both most excellent, but you will be happy with your choice .... more options.

RAF128

I have a single and it does everything I need.   The advantage of dual is you can set it up to shut off when the IT you want is reached which is handy if you can't be there.

smokeNcanuck

I just got a dual probe a few weeks ago.  I LUV it!!
For the few extra dollars I think it's well worth it, just to have the option
of adjusting temp by IT.
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It