Ain't your Momma's meatloaf from S&S with BUFFALO

Started by SmokinMoe, April 22, 2005, 07:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinMoe

I am going to try this tonight using ground Buffalo instead of ground beef. I know it is leaner, so I am going to put two racks of bacon above it and go for broke.
Hope it turns out ok, I will post later tonight.
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

BigSmoker

You could tumble the ground buffalo first to add some moisture/fat.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

MallardWacker

We are not that sufffistikated here, I don't think there is a pound of buffalo in the whole state.  But I have been buying some Black Angus lately and that does tste alot better.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />We are not that sufffistikated here, I don't think there is a pound of buffalo in the whole state.  But I have been buying some Black Angus lately and that does tste alot better.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
You are right about Black Angus. Hannaford's a supermarket chain here on the east coast sells Angus in certain cuts. Locally they are able to obtain certain cuts of Angus at the same or lower price of other beef. The type of Angus they get is certified organic.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Black Angus lately and that does tste alot better.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Yepper... now if you can get it from a resturant supply (meat) house you can get Prime Steer.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Phone Guy

All I have in the freezer right now is Buffalo and Antelope. There are a few Pheasants as well. Well there is also some pork for smokin' purposes. I am running low on Buffalo. I saw the local butcher had Buffalo tri tip last week for $3.99 lb. Thats pretty good.

Phone Guy

SmokinMoe

Bought the buffalo at a health food store, $5.49 a pound and I used 3 pounds with a pound of pork sausage.  
Ok, it was good, and there was a different taste to it, but I like buffalo and I liked this. It was DRIER than the ground beef, but not enough to complain about.  I really wanted to try this, but for the price, I think the ground beef works just as well and I really couldn't say I liked one over the other which is why I will use ground beef next time.
I am on the East Coast, Phone Guy.
I just wanted to try something different.  Now, I am not done with the Buffalo yet, I am going to see if the lady can get buffalo steak instead of it being ground up.  S&S has a recipe for that and I want to try it.
I STILL could not get that smoker up past 225, but, I think it was because of the moisture. I opened the vent fully for a few minutes and put my hand over the opening.  It was definitely moisture coming out, so I did it a few times to release the moisture.  The temp. in the cabinet never went down, but I had the guru set for 275 and could never get it past 225.  It drafted the whole time and never stopped.  It took 3 hours to do that, but it was 4lbs of meat (3 for the buffalo and 1 for the sausage).
I can't wait to try it tomorrow cold, the smoke will just be everywhere!!
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"