digital 6 rack model smoking only top side of brisket

Started by kataquaz, March 11, 2010, 06:44:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kataquaz

Hey ALL, hows everyone doing? Getting ready to fire up the grills and smokers :D. Springs is in!

So I know the forum is large and has many questions repeating themselves but I don't really have the time to search for long since I'm getting ready to open up my new restaurant this week. I would appreciate anyones help with my problem!!

PROBLEM IS:

I placed 12kg of brisket in my smoker today. I used 5 racks and smoked the meat for 4 hours. (I was planning on cooking it the rest of the time in the oven) When I opened the door after the 4 hours were up I saw that all 5 racks of brisket had been smoked only on their top side. I had to flip them over and smoke them for another 2 hours.

It looks ok now and its already in the oven. BUT can anyone tell me why both sides of the briskets were not smoked evenly???

THANKS GUYS!!
-K-

FLBentRider

Ok, so that's a new one on me.

When you say not smoked, you mean it still looked like raw meat?

Or that the top was darker than the bottom?

I've never seen or had mine do that.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

MPTubbs

The only way I know how to do that is foil the racks.

Were your racks foiled?
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

kataquaz

yeah thats right! it looked like uncooked raw meat. any ideas? do u think it was because i put 5 racks in and set a low smoking time period?
-K-

kataquaz

i didnt foil the racks. if i do then will the briskets smoke on both sides simultaneously?
-K-

KyNola

Your dilemma is quite puzzling.  Never heard of it before. 

Don't foil the racks!

kataquaz

i didnt foil them. i dont know why it happened. I also noticed now that each bisquette did not burn completely before advancing to the next one.

I dont know why this happened. ive smoked before albeit i only used 2 racks the last time but i didnt have these problems.
-K-

MPTubbs

The bisquettes won't burn ALL the way.

Like KyNola said Don't Foil The Racks!

Foiling them IMHO would give you the problem you are having.

If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

OU812

A couple questions.

Was your smoker in the same place it was the last time you smoked?

If it was, was the wind blowin this time?

Maybe the wind was causin to much of a draft and movin the smoke through the smoker to fast rather than lettin it fill the smoker.

Just scratchin my head here.

KevinG

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that equate to 27 pounds of meat? Seems like an awful lot of meat.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

squirtthecat

A Kilogram is 2.2 pounds...   But even then, that is quite a load.

KevinG

I'd suspect with that much meat it needed to stay in quite a bit longer.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

kataquaz

no it wasnt in the same position and no there was no wind blowing this time.
come to think of it, there was alot of smoke coming from the side of the smoker between the generator and the cabin.

maybe that was the reason? but it doesnt exactly explain the one sided smokiness
-K-

KyNola

If you were having a lot of smoke showing up between where the generator attaches to the cabinet, there's a large part of your problem.  I'm betting you had your vent closed down completely or at the most just barely cracked.  Your vent needs to be open in order to properly create a draft to pull the smoke through the cabinet.  It also helps in bringing the temp inside the cabinet up.  If you had smoke coming out at the generator, the smoke is backing up into your generator and that will effectively destroy your generator over time.

Get that vent open at least 50%.  I run mine pretty much wide open all the time.

Tommy3Putts

What was the temp of your bradley and your meat.  Is your heating element working.

Last weekend I did a load of six rack of spare ribs.  Most times it only takes 4-5 hours at 230-240.  With a full load it was well over six hours before the meat started pulling back from the bones.  With that much meat maybe that was your problem

T3Ps