foil boards

Started by Buckeye, May 21, 2010, 07:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckeye

I didn't know where to post this but I know all the salmon-heads hang out here.

Does anyone know where I can buy the foil coated boards that smoked salmon is sometimes sold on?  I recently caught some Coho and some little 5-7 lb. Spring Kings in Lake Ontario.  I usually cut all my salmon/steelhead into strips ala Kummock, but I want to try some whole or half fillets and package them for gifts.  I thought the foil boards would make the 'presentation' a little nicer as well as provide a bit of backbone when I vacuum seal the smoked fillets.

Any leads are appreciated.

Buckeye

3rensho

Hi Buckeye,  I get mine from a butcher supply house in Germany but that may be a wee bit distant for you.  This subject has come up before on the forum so I know others will have a more localized source for you.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Habanero Smoker

Here is a link to a post that has information on these boards. This company will take the extra step to try and accommodate you. Read my comment on the second page, it may help speed up your order.
Amindle - Smoked Food Mounting Boards

Send an email to the following.
Amindle

Let me know how you make out with this. If he is still providing the boards, I will add him to our approved vendor's list.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Buckeye

Thanks Habs.  Their website looks like they still sell these.  I'll place an order tomorrow and report back when they arrive.

Habanero Smoker

Make sure you contact them email first; unless you are placing a large order. For small orders; what they do (or use to do) is use the boards that are left over from an overrun and recut them if needed.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Buckeye

I sent them an EMail like you suggested.  They EMailed me right back and said they would be happy to sell me some.  They asked what size I wanted.  I told them and now I'm waiting on pricing.

I'll let you know how it all turns out.  Thanks again for the lead - looks like its going to work out.

Habanero Smoker

There customer assistance still seems to be great. After your feed back I will put them on the Approved Vendor's list. When you follow up, could you provide a quick description of the process. If it is the same as I outlined in the other post I just need to know any changes.

Good luck with your order.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Buckeye

I just sent a check to A. Mindle.  They are shipping me (100) 5.5"x12" and (100) 6.5"x8" boards for $0.10 each.  Add in $19 for UPS shipping and the boards come out to about $0.20 each - a pretty great price if you ask me!

I told them that you wanted to put them on our approved vendors list.  I asked them if they wanted to be on this list or not, seeing as how they usually only deal with large commercial orders.  I am wating on their response.

All in all - very good customer service.  I hope they want to continue with the smaller retail orders.

FYI - in addition to the two sizes I purchased, they also had 7.375"x8.75" and 6.375"x9".  All were leftovers from larger runs.  All were offerred at $0.10 each.

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for the feed back. You will be surprised how heavy they are, that is why the shipping cost seems like a lot.

I'm going to put them on the list. If you refer back to the link I referred you to; they approached us about being willing to provide the boards. I just wanted to make sure their customer service is still as good as when I placed my order.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Buckeye

The customer service was great.  Guy I dealt with was Doug.

They even sent the boards without receiving payment.  Since they deal with large, commercial smokers, they aren't set up to take credit cards.  I mailed a check today and they shipped today.

I asked Doug if he wanted A. Mindle included as a vendor on our site.  He said no problem as he mainly deals with the big boys but appreciates the "home smoker".

Habanero Smoker

Thanks again. I'll try to get them included either today or tomorrow.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Buckeye

Update:

I received the boards yesterday.  They're exactly what I was looking for.

If anyone is looking for these boards, don't hesitate to deal with these folks.

iceman

Had the same customer service up in Alaska from them. It took them by suprise on the location but the email back said no problem. I received the boards before I had a chance to send the check because of being out of town for work. These guys are great. Nice to deal with folks like that for a change.