can i smoke fish,chicken,beef & pork at the same time

Started by richardreyn78818, March 09, 2010, 07:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardreyn78818

classicrockgriller

Hiya and welcome.

You have what is referred to as the OBS (origional bradley smoker)

You could probably do chicken, beef, and pork at the same time.

But you might want to do fish by itself.

If you do the 3 different product together, put chicken on bottom.

KyNola

Good advice given by CRG.

Welcome to the forum.

KyNola

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Pawistik

Hello,
I'm reading through the forums (fora?) trying to learn what I can in advance of doing my first smokes of beef jerky (I've done lots on a dehydrator, but never smoked it before) and smoked salmon.

I am wondering what is the reasoning behind doing the fish on it's own?

My wife is out of town this weekend so I'm spending quality time with the OBS. My list of things to smoke thus far:

• 16 pounds of beef jerky, currently marinating in four different flavours of marinade/cure (3 commercial, one home made).
  • 8 pounds of salmon - to be done in two flavours, one being the "Indian Candy" recipe on the bradley web site.
  • 4 pounds of cheese
  • half a dozen hard boiled eggs

So, some of that will fill the smoker, and others will leave lots of room for a few things to be done at once. Thus, I'd like to combine batches when I can, and when the wood is the same.

Thanks in advance,
Bryan

OU812

Pawistik

The fish taste will carry over to the jerky and eggs and the cheese needs to be cold smoked. You dont want your cabnet above 85 F when doin cheese.

I did some peanuts the same time as doin snack sticks and you could taste the peanuts which wasnt bad but fishy tastin jerky and eggs is another story.

Pawistik

OK, that makes sense and it's what I would have guessed but wasn't certain about.

I'll do the eggs & cheese cold. I've already accidentally made a melted cheese mess once in the smoker when I overestimated the temperature and underestimated the speed with which cheese will melt!  :o

Cheers,
Bryan

ArnieM

OK, I'll throw my USD$0.02 in here.  I got my OBS about seven months ago.  It had four racks.  I was gung ho!  Wow, fill 'em up with whatever I can find.

I was gently advised by experienced people here that, maybe, that wasn't a good idea.

I'll try to make this short.  Would you get a big kettle, dump in water, a chicken or two, a few pounds of salmon, brisket, pork butt and maybe an onion or two and then cook for six hours or so?  Personally, I wouldn't.

The smoker is the same deal.  Yeah, it takes some patience.  You want to put a favorite smoke flavor on some meat.  Cook it until it's done.  Get an individual taste.  Then, go on to the next one. 

I know it can be difficult - the waiting, especially for smoked cheese.  But you end up with a superior result.  And, if you keep notes, you can tune it from there.

My best wishes for your smoking - just take it easy.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Pawistik

OK Arnie, I'll heed the advice. It's time to get the smoker set up and bring it up to temperature - ambient temps right now are about 0°C/32°F. The jerky will go on first, on it's own. Meanwhile I'll take the fish out of the bring let the pelicle form, getting that going late this afternoon or in the early evening. Eggs & cheese will either fit in between or can wait till tomorrow.

Cheers,
Bryan

Davids

hi guys,..
i am new in this forum,..
i found that it is very helpful for me because it contains very informative posts and sharing s,..thanks

Davids

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Davids on May 02, 2010, 09:32:31 PM
hi guys,..
i am new in this forum,..
i found that it is very helpful for me because it contains very informative posts and sharing s,..thanks

Welcome and glad to have you here.

If you have any questions just ask.

Some great people here.

mooskoka

I have done alot of jerky and ribs with great success and would like to try smokin some salmon. I am afraid the flavor of the fish will transfer to the next batch of ribs or jerky. Is it necessary to have a smoker for fish as well as a separate one for other meats ????
Luck has nothin to do with nothin. I once fell into to a barrell of 0s and came out suckin my thumb (@I@)

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum mooskoka!

Quote from: mooskoka on June 19, 2010, 07:55:59 AM
I have done alot of jerky and ribs with great success and would like to try smokin some salmon. I am afraid the flavor of the fish will transfer to the next batch of ribs or jerky. Is it necessary to have a smoker for fish as well as a separate one for other meats ????

I have done Salmon, there is no after effects on the smoker that I can tell.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

mooskoka

Luck has nothin to do with nothin. I once fell into to a barrell of 0s and came out suckin my thumb (@I@)