boneless skinless?

Started by db14, March 09, 2010, 08:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

db14

Has anybody out there tried smoking boneless skinless cheicken breasts?  I know in theory you can smoke pretty much anything, but I'm looking for some input here.  My wife and I both aren't really into dark meat or into eating the skin, so we typically have plenty of this around the house.  Is there no difference, or does the outside of it end up a little rubbery without the skin to protect it?  Any input would be helpful.

Also any recipes or rubs that don't involve ranch would be nice to try.  It seems like most of them do for some reason.

seemore

DB, Mr and I smoke boneless, skinless chicken breasts using a recipe for smoked pork chops from the Tried and True recipes from this site.
It is Hot Smokin' Gals Smoked Pork Chops.
The recipe is great on chops, so we tried it one day on a bag of skinless, boneless chicken breasts, as we had a recipe that called for smoked chicken.
What smoked chicken did not go in the recipe, Mr. sliced up for sandwich meat.
It is easy, quick, and good!
Mrs

seemore

Habanero Smoker

If there is not skin it is best to brine them first. If you don't have Morton's Tender Quick (which will give the chicken a ham like taste), you can use a brine with out a curing salt.

Here is a link to several brines; for breast will will not need as much brine so you may want to cut the amounts in half;

Brining & Curing

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

db14

Thanks, all good info.  I'm kind of stumbling into this head first.

Is there anything wrong with just adding some seasoning or rub and cooking it for a couple hours and being done (assuming it reaches the correct IT)?  I realize that taking the time and doing the prep work with brining will probably result in a better finished product, but I'm only cooking for two here and I'm looking to start small. 

FLBentRider

Quote from: db14 on March 10, 2010, 07:34:35 AM
Thanks, all good info.  I'm kind of stumbling into this head first.

Is there anything wrong with just adding some seasoning or rub and cooking it for a couple hours and being done (assuming it reaches the correct IT)?  I realize that taking the time and doing the prep work with brining will probably result in a better finished product, but I'm only cooking for two here and I'm looking to start small. 

There isn't anything wrong with that, I didn't like how they came out, so I started wrapping in bacon, brining, etc..
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

db14

Wrapping in bacon sounds more like my style, I may have to try that.  It may be a safer and easier bet to get some regular chicken breats and just discard the skin after cooking.  Cheaper too probably.

FLBentRider

Try these sometime - http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=54#post54

I'll warn you though, make sure there are no exits for the cheese or it will find its way out, and make a mess in the process.

But they sure are good.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Bangkok Smoke

Quote from: FLBentRider on March 10, 2010, 10:59:53 AM
Try these sometime - http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=54#post54

I'll warn you though, make sure there are no exits for the cheese or it will find its way out, and make a mess in the process.

But they sure are good.

That looks good!!
i am going to try that! We get a fair bit of boneless skinless chicken breasts here.. it is a common way they sell it as most Thai's use it sliced up in stir fry dishes...

Many times I have Bacon wrapped these breasts to keep them moist and Juicy.. It help to keep them from drying out and adds a nice flavor IMHO