BBQ Guru

Started by fstubbsjr, April 24, 2005, 04:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fstubbsjr

Morning everyone.  I've had my bradley only for 2 weeks, but cooked on it eight times.  I've had my Big green Egg for three years, so I'm new to the bradley, but not smoking.  My question is I bought my BBQ Guru for the Egg because I needed it to keep long charcoal burns and steady temps.  With the Bradley having a steady source of heat why do I need the Raptor?  I mean I cook the food until the thermometor says that it is done.  What difference would small fluctuations in temperature really make?  Thanks for any replies.  This is a great forum!

Frank Stubbs

nsxbill

The Raptor on the BS will actually control the temperature and allow you to walk away from the smoker and not have to worry about constantly adjusting the slider.  You just crank it up all the way, set your temp for the cabinet on your Competitor and select the meat temp.  Let it work and come back in about four hours and change out your water and rotate your shelves.  

You don't need the Raptor.  You can do it manually.

You didn't need the competitor on your Green Egg either, but it makes life easier.  The Raptor is just like the fan control on the charcoal smoker.  It controls the pit temp without having to constantly monitor.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

fstubbsjr

Hey thanx for a quick response nxbill.  I might be doing something wrong.  I just put the meat in, set the temp to max and walk away.  I just wait for the digital temp to beep.  I do cook with a full cabinent so my food shoulders cook for 14-16 hours, normal I suppose, my ribs cook for 6-9.  I guess my feeling was that I got a constant source of fuel, and my temp is only going to go so high 210-220.  Food comes out so good I've been selling it. Thanx for your response nxbill.

Frank Stubbs