Smoked Fish Roe (Cold)

Started by Waltz, March 07, 2010, 04:11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waltz

This is a tale of only partial success and some disappointment :-\

It is fish roe season in the UK.  I have often bought roes but never smoked them before so I thought I would give it a try.
I had wanted cod roe but as it turned out could only get haddock, which are similar but smaller.  I brined them.  This is them just out of the brine and drying.

I had intended only brining them for 12 hours but as it turned out I had to leave them for 36 hours and they have ended up a bit salty because of that.
There is also a duck breast on there to fill the rack.  I had also slathered up a rack of ribs and coated some peanuts in maple syrup, chilli powder and paprika to join the roes in the smoker.

I intended smoking them for about two hours 20 minutes at around 140F and seeing how everything was going after that and probably turning the heat up to get everything cooked properly.  I started the smoker and left it to warm up but after about 15 minutes found it was only at about 50F and that the main element was cold.  I jiggled all the connections as I have read that you should do but the element remained cold.  Got out my test meter and checked that there was voltage on the supply and continuity checked the heater circuit and found that it was open circuit.  I took the back off the tower and checked the thermal cut-out and found it was OK (not open circuit) so then undid the screws holding the element in place.  I tested the element by connecting the meter directly on to the end terminals and found it was open circuit :-[ I also turned the power back on and checked I had voltage at the element terminals and I did.  So it looks like the main heater element on my less than three month old smoker has died   >:( :-[ what a dissappointment, not to say absolute bummer.
So having all this prepared food I was forced to cold smoke it all and finish it off in the house oven.  It turned out OK in the end, just not the way I intended.  The smoke tower got up to about 95F with just the smoke generator heat and everything took the smoke quite well.  The roes are a bit salty but will be OK for taramasalata which is what I was going to do with them anyway but I now have the hassle of negotiating a replacement element for my smoker and having my fun spoiled until I get it replaced, which may not be a simple task in the UK I fear, 240v supply being one of the complications.  I hope they don't want me to return the whole smoke tower, I have disposed of the packing.
I have e-mailed the UK agent I bought it from and will call them tomorrow and keep this forum informed on what happens.

Waltz.

FLBentRider

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Hopefully you'll get it straightened out in short order.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

pensrock

Hmmm smoked fishing bait? Interesting.

manxman

I think you will find John Watkins and Grakka will sort your problem out Waltz, I had a couple of issues when I first got my BS and they were excellent to sort them out promptly.  :)

Finding cod's roe is like finding a hen with teeth ......... pretty much impossible!  ::)  I have smoked cod, haddock, whiting and pollack roe and they have all come out really well.  :)

Manxman

Waltz

"Hmmm smoked fishing bait? Interesting." Pensrock

One mans great delicacy is anothers fish bait.  Don't knock it until you've tried it, you don't know what you are missing.

Spoke to my smoker supplier this morning and they put me in touch with Bradley UK (I didn't know there was one!) who deal with warranty issues. I explained that my heater element had blown and their response was "we can send you one of those".  They took my details and didn't even need the unit serial number.  I am looking forward to receiving a replacement element in the post soon.  It seems the Bradley service in the UK is the same as across the pond.  I will let you know when it arrives and I am 'Smokin' again.

Waltz.

Caneyscud

smoked fish roe - another thing on my list to do.  Now all I have to do is catch some fish!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Waltz

Just to keep you all updated: my new heater element arrived in the mail today, how good is that?  Excellent service! I only called to say it was broken yesterday, they must have posted it immediately.  I will need to wait until the weekend before fitting it but will be smokin' again then ;D ;D.

Waltz

Waltz

Hello again,

Fitted my replacement element this weekend and smoked and cooked some more roes along with some beef, some garlic and some salt so I am back in action and all is well.

Waltz