dry ribs

Started by db14, March 10, 2010, 07:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

db14

I've read through a lot of the rib recipes on here and most people seem to be doing the 3-2-1 and/or saucing their ribs.  Does anyone out there just straight up smoke them?  That is my pla for my first batch because I am a dry rib kind of guy.  I have a rub that I've used before I had the smoker and want to see how they turn out with some smoke flavor added.  I'm thinking about just applying the rub (night before) and then going with 4 hours or so of hickory and seeing what I've got.  Anybody do something similar to this?  Suggestions or corrections?  Feel free to chime in, this is a learning experience.

OU812

I have done ribs many times straight up with out the 3 2 1 and they were fine.

If they start to look like they are getin dry on the serface just mist them with some apple juice.

I like to mix some beer in the apple juice and some times a splash of worcestershire sauce.

If you want to mop them, which is better than straight up try this, I like it.

BARBECUE MOP SAUCE   

1 c. vinegar (can use apple cider or wine vinegar)
1/2 c. cooking oil
1/4 c. water
1/4 c. lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. paprika
1 1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
1/3 c. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. ground bay leaf

Combine all ingredients in saucepan and bring to boil. Keep warm while using.

FLBentRider

Quote from: db14 on March 10, 2010, 07:43:00 AM
I've read through a lot of the rib recipes on here and most people seem to be doing the 3-2-1 and/or saucing their ribs.  Does anyone out there just straight up smoke them?  That is my pla for my first batch because I am a dry rib kind of guy.  I have a rub that I've used before I had the smoker and want to see how they turn out with some smoke flavor added.  I'm thinking about just applying the rub (night before) and then going with 4 hours or so of hickory and seeing what I've got.  Anybody do something similar to this?  Suggestions or corrections?  Feel free to chime in, this is a learning experience.

I have done them this way, and I did not care for them.

I applied 3 hours of smoke and then cooked for an additional 2 or three hours( I don't remember exactly) and they seemed to dry out to the point where they were tough. I think it has to do with the surface to mass ratio, by the time you cook them long enough to be tender, they are dry.

But a lot of what I have learned is from experimentation - go for it and see if you like it.

I would start with only 1 or two racks until you get them the way YOU like them, 'cause we're all different, and you could follow someones recipe to the T and still not like them.

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

db14

I will defintely be starting with just one rack.  The wife doesn't do ribs, so this will be just for me.  I rarely cook for more than two, so my cooking times are always going to be a little shorter.  If I start perfecting this I think I may start having more guests for dinner.

OU, when you say mist do you mean actually spraying or spritzing or doesyou just brush it on?  Also, how does the apple juice affect the flavor if at all.  Same question for the mop.

OU812

db

I use one of those mister bottles, kinda like Windex comes in.

If you use un sweetened apple juice and just mist till it dont look dry you wont even hardly taste it. But like FLB stated every bodys taste is different.

All your trying to do with the juice is keep it from drying out. You can use broth if you want or even plain old water.

With the mop, yes it does change the taste but to me it enhances the flavor and does not over power it. If your going to mop wait till after the smoke and the bark has a chance to form.

squirtthecat

I saw a (non smoked) recipe for Dr Pepper ribs that could probably be adapted..

They were done in an oven (horror!), on a roasting rack in a pan w/ 2 cans of Dr Pepper poured in.   It sort of steamed the ribs in the peppery liquid.

dbondy

Hi db, I've done ribs both ways and have had great results with each technique. OU has got you covered with the mop or the spray bottle. I've just put two racks in my obs and intend to dry cook them. I have a small garden sprayer that I use to mist the ribs with. I use a mixture of apple juice and cider vinegar and spray the ribs down about every hour or so. When the ribs start to pull back from the bone I then put some sauce on them to finish them off. Hope this helps, I'll post some pics as I go.

Pachanga

A lot of good advice from previous posts.

I smoke naked ribs using a dark beer/mustard slather and then mopping once the bark starts to firm up.  The slather will keep the ribs moist and tenderize the meat.  Use an oversize water pan to keep the moisture rolling.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

db14

Wow, I do love Dr. Pepper, but that might be going too far (plus I don't get use the smoker, kind of defeats the purpose).

Lots of great input, but my question would be how does the mopping/spraying with the different liquids effect the flavor of the ribs?  I don't typically do mine very sweet (I try to avoid rubs with sugar or brown sugar), so would the apple juice sweeten them up a little (a little would be fine) or can you really not taste the difference in the end?  They'll have a heavy coating of rub to begin with, so that might overpower anything else that goes on top.

Pachanga, so you wait until the outside starts to firm up before spraying or mopping?  That makes sense to me, just verifying.  We're talking like 2-3 hours in probably when the outer layer looks as if it crisp (for lack of a better word)?

squirtthecat

I just might try dumping a couple bottles of Dr Pepper in the water pan next time I do ribs..

I'll do a rack of BBs 'naked' this weekend, and report back.

Pachanga

QuotePachanga, so you wait until the outside starts to firm up before spraying or mopping?  That makes sense to me, just verifying.  We're talking like 2-3 hours in probably when the outer layer looks as if it crisp (for lack of a better word)?

Exactly.  If you mop too early, the rub and slather wash off.  It is not really crisp.  The bark is still soft but dark.  I have described slather before as a mop reduction.  It is a long term moisturizer.

Mops can change the flavor of the meat.  It just depends on the mop.  A mop should be an enhancement and not so much a flavoring.  I have never noticed apple juice changing the flavor much but I normally don't use straight apple juice.  It is much like mustard slather which does not taste like mustard but instead assumes the character of the bark flavor.

Here are some of my thoughts related to this subject along with the comments of others.

To Mop or Not to Mop – That is the Question
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=14240.0

Calling All Mop Recipes
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=14446.0

Mustard Slather on Brisket and other Meats
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12112.0

I Prefer to Smoke Totally Naked - A Brisket and Ribs Manifesto
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12455.0

Pachanga

Ka Honu

Quote from: Pachanga on March 10, 2010, 10:04:32 AM...  Use an oversize water pan to keep the moisture rolling.

Probably the most important advice so far - a moist environment will help keep the ribs from drying out better than anything else.  Also makes it easier to maintain temp since you're not opening and closing the box.

db14

Thanks Pachanga, lots of good info.  I have to go out of town this weekend, but may try to get these done on Sunday.

A more general question, if I use the water bowl that comes with the OBS, how long would it be before I would have to add more water to the bowl?  (assuming around 225F and bowl is half full to begin with)

db14

Quote from: squirtthecat on March 10, 2010, 10:57:42 AM

I just might try dumping a couple bottles of Dr Pepper in the water pan next time I do ribs..

I'll do a rack of BBs 'naked' this weekend, and report back.

Hopefully this doesn't turn your water bowl black!  Maybe dilute it a little?

Pachanga

QuoteA more general question, if I use the water bowl that comes with the OBS, how long would it be before I would have to add more water to the bowl?  (assuming around 225F and bowl is half full to begin with)

Too soon but I don't know an accurate time.  I never used the water bowl.  I knew it would not work for my purposes.  I use a half size steam table foil/aluminum  pan that fits perfectly and covers the entire bottom.  I have to bend the back lip down a little to go under the heating element protector.  Throw it away after two or three long smokes or if it gets nasty and you don't want to fool with it.  I buy a large package at Costco.

There are a couple of photos of the pan in this thread.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12061.0

Pachanga