dry ribs

Started by db14, March 10, 2010, 07:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

Those are some damn nice lookin ribs you did there db.

db14

Quote from: Tommy3Putts on March 15, 2010, 03:38:23 AM
Nice looking ribs DB.  If they were too spicy, looking at your rub recipe, I'd back off the salt, Cayenne, and black pepper just a bit.  Then also increase the amount of brown sugar a bit. 

Yeah, I'm not really a sweet ribs kind of guy, but I may have gone too far the other way.  I enjoyed them, but I don't think a lot of other people would have.  I think I can lower the cayenne and increase the brown sugar a little and it will be closer.  Plus I'll probably get a few more bastes in with the apple juice next time which may help.  I'd also like to try and add some sage or maybe thyme or something along those lines so there is a little something else to them.  Right now the flavor is good, but very one dimensional if that makes sense.

Caneyscud

Congrats, db!  I'm not a sweet rub type of guy either!  And I would usually rather not have much if any sauce on them either if from a smoker.  If too spicy, I'd look at the amount you put on.  Ribs have such a large "bark" to meat ratio (each bite will have either one side and more probably two sides of bark included) that you will definitely taste the rub in EVERY bite.  Where I will pour on the rub with a butt or a brisket, I will go much lighter on ribs - more of a sprinkle.  If you like the taste of the rub, just too spicy, just hold back some when applying it - might take you a rack or two to get it adjusted to your exact taste but guess what.  It will be some mighty fine taste testing until you do!  Your rub has a lot of cayenne, paprika, chili powder and some sugar in it - it will be darker than some other rubs.  As far as other spritz's, beef broth is pretty good also - I like to have some fats/oils in my mops/sops/bastes/spritz's so I will usually melt some butter, but some beer, cym, lemon juice, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.  And use it as a mop.  Only limited by your imagination and what you want as part of the taste profile.   If you add sage or thyme to the recipe - I like to use the powders - mixes well and seems to stick on the meat better.  

Now, to address t3putts infatuation with Pachanga - "smoking god"?????  He's from the wrong part of Texas, plus his fishing cabin, it's too far south.  No way.  With his locations - too much influence from the north and from the south.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  But then what am I saying, I don't even live close to bbq heaven anymore - my family does though!   :o :o :o :o  Plus he seems to catch bigger fish than I do!  arrgghhhhh!!!!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Pachanga

A girl once called me an Angel but later swore I was the Devil.  Go figure.

Pachanga

Ka Honu

Quote from: Tommy3Putts on March 11, 2010, 05:18:09 PMIMHO Pachanga is a smoking god.

I think it was a typo - he probably meant "Pachanga is a smoking cod."

Tommy3Putts

Quote from: Caneyscud on March 15, 2010, 10:06:18 AM

Now, to address t3putts infatuation with Pachanga - "smoking god"?????  He's from the wrong part of Texas, plus his fishing cabin, it's too far south.  No way.  With his locations - too much influence from the north and from the south.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  But then what am I saying, I don't even live close to bbq heaven anymore - my family does though!   :o :o :o :o  Plus he seems to catch bigger fish than I do!  arrgghhhhh!!!!

Well being Sooner born and Sooner bred I won't get into which side of Texas is best, except maybe North? ;D  All I know is that come October there is an nice little friendly rivalry in big D. 

I'm not a sweet kind of rib guy either, until the end.  But I've found that unless you go way overboard with the brown sugar, it reacts well with the other spices to actually enhance the rub.  As said by the experts find what you like and go with it.  It sound like my spritz/mop tastes are similar to Caney.  Beer, butter, applecider vinegar and what ever else is handy.  Try red wine some time (one glass for the spritz two for the chef) 8).

Ka Honu

Quote from: Tommy3Putts on March 15, 2010, 05:02:06 PMWell being Sooner born and Sooner bred I won't get into which side of Texas is best, except maybe North?

Baja Oklahoma?

Pachanga

Quote from: Ka Honu on March 15, 2010, 02:53:56 PM
Quote from: Tommy3Putts on March 11, 2010, 05:18:09 PMIMHO Pachanga is a smoking god.

I think it was a typo - he probably meant "Pachanga is a smoking cod."

I dreamed I was a smokin' a cod once but I didn't inhale.  That oily fishy smoke smell still haunts me.

Tommy3Putts,

Caneyscud has been wandering in the wilderness for years (since he left God's country).  He still has retained a lot of barbeque acumen but I am worried for his brisket soul.  He has been talking about pork a lot lately.  However, we still claim him as our own.  Fortunately, he comes back home to recharge his batteries occasionally and gets back to his roots.

Okies are OK in my book.  But then again my book is the Texas Warlock's book of lesser Barbeque Gods, rotten deeds and heavy drinking.

Thanks for reading my ramblings and for posting.

Pachanga

Tommy3Putts

Not ramblings in my book.  Thank you for all the help you and everyone else contribute to this site that's what makes it so enjoyable.

As for "all-y'all" who are from the Republic of Texas (for you guys way up north all-y'all is plural for y'all), except when it comes to college football, I find all y'all to be a fairly tolerable species. Especially when helping out your neighbors in time of need.  I've heard many good stories of Texans coming to the aid of many Okies in April of 1995 and when the F4 hit Moore OK several years ago.  Pretty cool.

Smoke on!

T3Ps

Caneyscud

Is that Oct. game anything like the Thanksgiving game?  Long live Bonfire! 

Quote from: Pachanga on March 15, 2010, 05:26:48 PM

I dreamed I was a smokin' a cod once but I didn't inhale.  That oily fishy smoke smell still haunts me.

Reminds me of a time with this mullet in Rockport!

Caneyscud has been wandering in the wilderness for years (since he left God's country).  

Say it ain't so!   Say it ain't so!     Since my wife is a W. Tenn gal, she gets a hankering for pulled pork once in a while and me being the nice, adoring, and submissive husband OBEYS!. 

Caney's wanderings from BBQ heaven to Porcine Pulchritudinous

Okies are OK in my book.  

Agreed, my lis sis was an Enid Okie once - for a few years.  Then she came back to the Hill Country. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

db14

A final thought as I was thinking back on these ribs a few days later.  They weren't quite as tender as i would have liked.  I know a lot people aim for fall off the bone, while others say ribs shouldn't fall off the bone.  Regardless, I would have liked these to be a little more tender.  I know that the meat itself can play a role in that, but what are some suggestions to accomplish this?  Should I baste/slather more often?  I don't think they needed more time, but I will yield to the experts.

FLBentRider

Quote from: db14 on March 16, 2010, 06:55:21 AM
A final thought as I was thinking back on these ribs a few days later.  They weren't quite as tender as i would have liked.  I know a lot people aim for fall off the bone, while others say ribs shouldn't fall off the bone.  Regardless, I would have liked these to be a little more tender.  I know that the meat itself can play a role in that, but what are some suggestions to accomplish this?  Should I baste/slather more often?  I don't think they needed more time, but I will yield to the experts.

Usually cooking a little longer will accomplish the tenderness you want.

Ribs is such an individual thing... We can't even agree in our own family.

If you cook them too long you will end up with pulled pork and bones.

The only way to figure it out is to document how long you cooked them and how they turned out, and do the next batch a little different.

Bear in mind that sometimes the ribs will just take longer or shorter than you want. You can cook them the same time and they come out different.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Pachanga

Quote from: FLBentRider on March 16, 2010, 07:02:14 AM
Quote from: db14 on March 16, 2010, 06:55:21 AM

Usually cooking a little longer will accomplish the tenderness you want.

Ribs is such an individual thing... We can't even agree in our own family.

If you cook them too long you will end up with pulled pork and bones.

The only way to figure it out is to document how long you cooked them and how they turned out, and do the next batch a little different.

Bear in mind that sometimes the ribs will just take longer or shorter than you want. You can cook them the same time and they come out different.

I am in total agreement with FLBentRider.

Cook them a little longer but be careful you don't end up with pulled pork and bones.  There can be a pretty tight window there.  Final texture is is completely a personal preference.  Most BBQ joints and experts in the field go for what is described as a little tug but still an easy parting from the bone.

Remember there is always hangover heat that will continue to cook the ribs and take them to a little higher temperature.  If they are right where you want them when you take them off the pit, put them on a rack to cool down.  If you pulled them too early, FTC them or throw them on a hot grill for a few minutes and mop them to prevent drying.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

db14

I can try going longer.  I just wanted to make sure that wouldn't cause them to to be dried out or tough.  I'm still adjusting to cooking this way.  To me overcooked meat means a steak you can't hardly chew.  If the results of overcooking here is they fall apart at least they will still be edible.