ABT's

Started by Phone Guy, April 27, 2005, 04:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phone Guy

Well the wife and daughter will be gone this weekend so I think it will be good timing to try some ABT's. I am going to use the posted recipe but I can not find the cooking temp posted. Do you apply smoke for the whole time? Should I use some of my BB Bacon or use store bought belly bacon?

MallardWacker

Phone Dude,

I always cook my ABT's with what ever else I am smoking. Temp is not all that important (to me anyway), if all you are doing is peppers, I would cook between 225 and 250 till you liking of tenderness of the pepper, I like mine limp (yes I know what I just did).  Please don't use your BBB, use your cheap store bought bacon.  Take a bout 1/3 to 1/2 of a piece and cap the pepper. THEN>>>>lay your peppers in row (I use a scewer instead of toothpicks)lay whole pieces of bacon legnth wise over the peppers.  That bacon will be some of the best tasting stuff in the whole world.  My kids don't like the peppers but they love the bacon.  Cooking time 2-3hrs, use Hickory or Peacon.  Have fun and let use know.  Save a few for breakfast, they are great.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Phone Guy

OK, If I understand you correctly, after the peppers are filled and cheesed you <b>lay</b>a piece of bacon on top. Then you use a scewer. Does the scewer hold the bacon down? and if I am using wooden scewers (which I have)how many peppers do you have on a scewer?

Habanero Smoker

I'm a little more liberal with the bacon[:D]. I use a full slice of thinly sliced bacon and completely wrap the pepper with it, and secure the bacon with a toothpick. I smoke them when smoking other foods, because the temp. is around 210 degrees F. they take about 3 hours for the bacon to fully cook, and they are receiving smoke the entire time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Phone Guy</i>
<br />OK, If I understand you correctly, after the peppers are filled and cheesed you <b>lay</b>a piece of bacon on top. Then you use a scewer. Does the scewer hold the bacon down? and if I am using wooden scewers (which I have)how many peppers do you have on a scewer?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Basicly I fill each pepper using a disposable piping bag then I lay 1/3 piece of bacon over the top (cap or top) just to keep the cheese in.  Then I use the scewer through the sides of the pepper/bacon and go through the other side piercing  the bacon on the other side tohold everything together.  I can get 6-8 pepers on a scewer.  That is where I lay the full strips of bacon on top of.  I have not made ABT's since I have bought my new camera, sorry for no pics. Layer as much bacon on top as you want, like I said this aome great stuff.   HTH's

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Phone Guy

Thanks, I'll go for it this weekend. I have some BB rib meat left, it should be enough to stuff a few peppers. I haven't smoked a butt yet so I don't have that to use.

JJC

I find that ABTs are about the most flexible thing you can smoke.  Almost any pepper works great (some are just hotter than others). Temp doesn't matter as long as they peppers are cooked as soft as you like them; other than cream cheese, the filling can be almost anything else (chicken, pork, real buffalo meat (which I prefer), beef, spicy, mild, whatever).  Hab just posted a honey/lime juice marinade for the pappers before smoking that I'm going to try this weekend.  I don't bother with tooth pix--just wrap bacon around the entire pepper.  

One thing that I think is not so flexible:  use the cheapest thin bacon you can find--no sense wasting good or thick bacon on the ABTs when the cheap thin stuff does the job!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Phone Guy</i>
<br />the hole time?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
OK, PG gets a pass because he's new & Mallard gets a pass because he's figured it out![:D][:D][:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Phone Guy

OK, Sorry about that, I corrected my post. [:I] I'm learning real fast to be very careful how I word things here.

By the way I couldn't stop thinking about these ABT's, so I picked up some peppers on the way home and made them last night. These things were great. The peppers were not hot at all. I think that probably varies with the peppers, but I do like a little bite.. from the peppers I mean.[;)]