What happened to my ribs?

Started by StickyDan, March 17, 2010, 11:25:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StickyDan

I smoked some pork back ribs on Sunday and had some issues.   I've only smoked ribs a few times with varying results.  The last attempt was - dare I say "perfect"! Some of the best ribs my friends and I have ever had.  Sundays ribs where a different story.  I usually make a rub of brown sugar and a variety of spices, salt and pepper.  I coat the ribs with mustard and than cover with the rub.  Foil them up and put in the fridge over night.  I place them in the smoker for about 6 hrs rotating about every hour.  This time, I did the same thing but I didn't let them sit.  Instead I plopped em right in the smoker. It was a bit chilly that day so I left them in until the thermometer read about 170 deg.  Some of the thinner pieces where almost up to 190 deg.  Here's what I got.  The thin pieces where on the dry side.  the thicker areas had a gelaten like goo (I'm assuming fat or connective tissue that didnt't quite melt) and they where also on the dry side but not as much as the thinner pieces.  the other thing i noticed is that the meat didn't "fall off the bone". Instead it looked like it was still sticking to the bone in some areas. 
So, to me, it seemed like I had dry yet slightly undercooked ribs.  Is the even possible?  How do I avoid this in the future?  any thoughts?

ArnieM

Hi Sticky,

Sorry to hear about the ribs.  I generally use this method http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=920 or something close depending on the type of rib and how much is in the smoker.  It is generally referred to as the 3-2-1 method.  So, it comes out to about six hours, the same as your cook time.

I've never done ribs without parking them in the fridge over night so I can't answer that one either way.

How did you take the rib's temps?  I can't find enough meat for a reliable reading.  I go by how much the meat is pulling back off the bone.  Then again, I've had differing results.  Not all pigs are created equal. 

Finally, "falling-off-the-bone" is a matter of personal taste.  A lot of people like 'em that way while some like to bite the meat off.  The latter seems to be favored in competition.  I've become an 'expert' in that area by watching TV  ;D

If you can post back with more info - what smoker you fave, how many racks, how many shelves used, etc., you might get a little more info from some of the people that REALLY know their ribs around here.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

FLBentRider

What temp did you run the smoker?

Was it windy as well as chilly?

What was the weather like for the last attempt before this one?

I don't take the temp of the ribs either, I look for the meat to pull back from the bone too.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

StickyDan

The weather for the "perfect ribs" was probably about 12 to 14 deg outside and sunny with not much wind. 
Sundays weather was about 7-10 deg, cloudy and a little windy.  I had 4 racks of back ribs.  I trimmed them down to fit on the racks.  I had 2 racks with 2 large pieces on each and 1 rack with the 4 little off cuts.  average temp ranged between 210 - 230 deg.  the meat was pulling away but not much.  I noticed they where starting to dry out so....
I have bradley digital thermometer.  Not too sure how accurate it is though...
i use the term "fall of the bone" loosely.  I don't expect the meet to literally fall of the bone however I know that when the meat is properly cooked, it wont stick to the bone.  So, when you're done eating, all you have left is a bowl of very clean bones with no little  meat bits stuck to them. 
Hope this helps in solving the mystery.