LAN Party Butts

Started by FLBentRider, March 11, 2010, 06:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deb415611

FLBR,

What brand molasses did you use?  I know that I haven't seen the brand that Larry used around here.  I have only ever used Grandma brand with a yellow label but they have another type.  I'm not sure what the difference is .  Maybe there is a difference in the thickness of the brands.   

I have a tiny pork butt that I'm going to try it with tomorrow.  Not sure what I'm going to do for a rub yet. 

Deb

FLBentRider

It was Publix (a southern grocery store) brand.

I've used Grandmas too, they seem to be a similar consistency.

I think some of my issues were the caused by the convection oven.

The next time I may substitute the molasses for brown sugar in a rub I've used before and see what happens.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Deb,
I hope it works for you as there have been mixed results with CRG and FLBR.  Try to keep your smoking/cooking temps in the 225 range.  Higher temps may cause the sugar in the molasses to burn.

Let us know how it turns out for you.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: KyNola on March 13, 2010, 08:46:48 PM
Deb,
I hope it works for you as there have been mixed results with CRG and FLBR.  Try to keep your smoking/cooking temps in the 225 range.  Higher temps may cause the sugar in the molasses to burn.

The butts I did with molasses/creole mustard was very good.

Daughter and SIL and rest of Fam had them today for lunch on split hoagie

buns and they have the rest of the two butts vac-pac and going to Nashville.

I would do them and probably will.

deb415611

Quote from: KyNola on March 13, 2010, 08:46:48 PM
Deb,

I will keep it low.  I'm going to finish in the oven since it's raining here and I have the smoker at the end of the garage.  Right now the wind is going in the direction I want it too.  The butt I"m doing is tiny,  3.7 lbs.   It's going in shortly and now I'm second guessing my decision to start it early in the morning since I forgot about the time change.  Rub was a spicy rub that I bought (has cayenne & habanero powder in it)- I'm going for the hot/spicy/sweet . 

SnellySmokesEm

I'm sorry that your pork didnt turn out the way you had hoped for.  Thanks for the pics and the feedback because I was very interested in tryin the molasses slather but now I think I may wait for some more fedback to come in.
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

FLBentRider

It's still good.

I brought a gallon bag to the office today and I doubt that there will be any left after lunch.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!