Smoked Javelina

Started by KevinG, March 12, 2010, 11:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinG

I took a poll at work, and gave them the choice of 5 recipes listed below so they could try some Javelina. It started off that the first 5 people went for the chili, but then a rally came and the next 8 went for the smoked javelina. So I'll be making the Smoked Javelina with Orange Sauce

BBQ Javelina (ATE 3-18)
3-5 lbs boned javelina shoulder or ham
2-3 lbs white onions
20-30 whole cloves
1 qt. BBQ sauce
1 qt. water

Slice and quarter the onions; reserve half the onions in a covered bowl and refrigerate. With a paring knife, make 20-30 small slits in the meat and push a clove into each opening. Arrange half of the remaining sliced onions on the bottom of a crockpot and add meat with the remaining onions on the top. Add water to cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. Remove meat to cutting board, reserve cooked onions, discard remaining juices. Shred and cut up the meat, being sure to keep visible cooked cloves. Add meat, the cooked onions, the reserved uncooked onions and BBQ sauce to crockpot. Cook on low heat stirring occasionally for 4-6 hours. Serve on buns.

Wild Boar Chile Verde (WGR 46)

3 pounds boar shoulder, cut into 1 inch pieces
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups yellow onion, chopped
8 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup Anaheim pepper, chopped
3 jalapeno peppers, seeds removed and diced fine
1 tablespoon dried oregano flakes
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cups fresh tomatillos, quartered (or canned, juice removed)
4-5 cups chicken broth
1 cup fresh cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large stock pot, heat oil over medium-high flame. Add boar and lightly brown on all sides. Add onion, garlic and peppers and sauté until onion is translucent. Add oregano, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, tomatillos and enough chicken broth to a level just below the top of the other ingredients. Lower heat and simmer 1 hour, adding more chicken broth as needed to keep mixture moist. Check meat to see if it has softened and begun to shred. If not, simmer for additional time. Add cilantro and simmer for 10 more minutes.

Barbecued Javelina (ERWGF 17)

3 to 4 lbs meat
Water
2 Tablespoons pickling spice
2 Tablespoons vinegar
2 Tablespoons Sugar
Liquid Smoke
1 small onion (finely chopped)
1 cup Catsup
½ cup Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Chili Powder
1 teaspoon Celery Seed
½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
½ teaspoon Hot Pepper Sauce
3 Tablespoons Sugar
1 Cup Water

Remove fat from meat and cut meat into large chunks. Place in pot; cover with water; add pickling spice, vinegar and two tablespoons of sugar. Bring to a boil; lower heat, cover and simmer for forty minutes. Drain meat, sprinkle with a little liquid smoke and place in baking pan. Combine remaining ingredients; pour over meat, cover and bake at 350 degrees for one hour. Meat should be getting very well done by this time. Remove cover and return to oven and bake until meat is falling apart tender (about thirty more minutes). Do not let this cook dry. Additional water may be added if needed.

Javelina B.B.Q. (WGC 48)

5-6 lbs. meat
½ cup drippings or Broth
4 oz. can Tomato Sauce
1 med. Onion, diced
¼ teaspoon Garlic Salt
3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
¼ teaspoon Dry Mustard
1/8 cup Lemon Juice
1/8 cup Vinegar
¼ cup Hot Catsup

Cook meat until well done. Mix all other ingredients and pour over meat. Simmer about 15 minutes longer, blend well. Serve on rolls.

Smoked Javelina (MSSD 104) with orange sauce (GHIC 215)
5 lbs meat
2 teaspoons Cure #1
1 ½ oz. salt
1 qt water
2 tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar
Seasonings:
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
bacon

Mix all ingredients except seasonings and bacon in 1 quart of cold water (40° F), then spray pump meat to 10% of the original weight. Then leave them in the remaining brine for 2 days in a refrigerator, repeat after 2 days. Take them out, wash briefly with cold water and let drain. Sprinkle with seasonings and wrap in bacon. Place them in stockinette bags.

Hang them in a preheated to 130°F smokehouse for 2-3 hours until dry. Then apply a medium smoke increasing temperature to 150°F for about 3 hours. Then raise the temperature to 160-165°F and continue smoking until an internal temperature of 154°F is obtained. Shower with cold water and hang them at room temperature to start cooling. Store in the refrigerator.

Orange Sauce

1 medium orange
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
12 whole cloves

Grate 1 tablespoon peel from stem end of orange; then from other end cut 6 thin slices; set aside.
In 1-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, cook orange peel, orange juice, sugar cornstarch, cinnamon, and cloves with 1/4 teaspoon salt until thickened, stirring. Add orange slices; cover; remove from heat and keep warm. Top meat with orange sauce.

I started Wednesday, soaking the meat in the brine, rotated Thursday, then a new batch this morning. I'll be smoking tomorrow.

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Tenpoint5

Kevin you gonna make some Javelina Bacon?

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

dbondy

KevinG

Thanks all!
10.5 I wanted to make bacon, but due to the swiss cheese affect, I didn't end up with that much usable meat. Front legs, rear legs and 1 1/2 of the tenderloin, the rest went to the coyotes since it was pretty much gone.

KevinG

Well, here we go.

I started off pulling the meat from the fridge, rinsing and drying it.

While that was drying, I boiled some string for the later tying event.

While that was boiling, I started soaking some cheesecloth in olive oil, since I forgot to buy some netting and can't get it anywhere here.

After that, I laid out a loose bacon weave to pile the meat onto.

I placed the meat on the weave over the cheesecloth, and sprinkled with the spices. I closed off the cheese cloth and tied it up real tight.

I placed it in the smoker, and it's smoking away now, IT is only 74 F now.

MPTubbs

Boy Keven that sure looks good!

Great plan!
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

Tenpoint5

I sure hope that tastes as good as it looks like it should!!

KevinG

Got my fingers crossed. IT is only 112 now. Hopeful it'll be done before bed time, at this rate I'm guessing 6:30 unless it stalls.

KevinG

Well, it stalled. I ended up having to crank the temp up a little more than I wanted and brushed some olive oil over it a few times. I ended up pulling it at 8:30 and did an FTC hoping it would stay moist.

Here's the pic out of the smoker.

I decided to go ahead and cut it up, so it would be easy for the people at work to grab some.

Tenpoint5

I tried and tried to grab some but just can't seem to get any through the computer screen!! Looks great Kevin. How did the chef's taster taste?

KevinG

Well, considering this was my first time trying Javelina, and I had a pretty good idea in my mind how it was going to be. I was pretty much dead on. The meat is a lot like ham, but stiffer. I was anticipating a gamey taste and yes, it was there, about as much as squirrel, maybe a little more. The smoke came out good and the bacon I think helped to keep it from drying out (along with the olive oil). I think next time I might try soaking it in some milk. Some say that'll help nock down some of the gamey flavor. I'm a little worried about the folks at work trying it. I don't want to scare them off wild game meat.

Tenpoint5

You might be surprised Kevin. With the meat being cut up like that the smoke flavor from the outsides might drift in some and change the flavor to the good. The resting period in a bag always makes a butt better so I don't see why it wouldn't help here as well

Caneyscud

Javelina tamales are a good choice also. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"