How much smoke does the OBS produce?

Started by HD18JBGuy, March 08, 2010, 07:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HD18JBGuy

Hey guys,

I am pretty new to the forum and haven't posted much.  I have yet to buy an OBS, but I am strongly considering one given that Spring is almost upon us.  However, I have a little dilemma.  I have never seen an OBS in action and am curious as to how much smoke they produce when in operation.  I live in Chicago in a three condo unit building, all of which have rear outdoor decks that are very open.  I live on the middle floor of the three units and the smoker would be situated there.

The issue I have is that, out of respect for my neighbors, I don't want to smoke out the people that live above me or below me.  I am sure they will be fine with a little smoking every now and then, but I can imagine that my interest will be a little more frequent than "every now and then".  I sure wouldn't mind someone smoking below me, but some people might not care for it and I am trying to be respectful.

That being said, do these smokers produce a lot of smoke when operating, or is it tolerable and able to be controlled in a manner as to not be any more annoying than someone cooking on a charcoal grill and using lighter fluid?  I know, kind of an odd question, but this could make or break my decision as to whether I buy one (gosh I wish I just owned a house).

Thanks in advance for your input.  I appreciate and value it.

classicrockgriller

After they smell your smoke, if you don't know them , you will.

They will come knocken at your door wanting to eat with you.

In an open area, probably no more than a charcoal grill.

BTW, welcome to the forum. Hope it works out for ya.

KyNola

HD18JBGuy,
Welcome to the forum.  In my opinion the Bradley doesn't put off an offensive amount of smoke.  If your condo has an outdoor deck, there will be a breeze to dissipate the smoke.  Also, depending on what you're smoking, 4 hours of smoke maximum will take care of what you're smoking.  After that you're just cooking.

I think you will be fine.

KyNola

HD18JBGuy

Thanks for the input guys! 

Sounds like it might work out for me.

classicrockgriller

You shouldn't have to worry about the ppl below and worst case is you might have to get a small fan to help push the smoke apart.

I really think you are good to go.

Nice of you to be aware of your neighbors.

Habanero Smoker

Hi HD18JBGuy;

Welcome to the forum.

That is a common question. Here is a link that may also help.

Does the smoker make a lot of smoke?

Also check out:

Bradley FAQ
Recipes

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HD18JBGuy

Thanks Habanero.  That pretty much answers all my concerns!  Great FAQ.

db14

Quote from: classicrockgriller on March 08, 2010, 08:54:49 PM
You shouldn't have to worry about the ppl below and worst case is you might have to get a small fan to help push the smoke apart.

Also a good idea.  You can always just use a small fan to dissipate the smoke and push it out away from the buidling.

wally22

HD18JBguy like the rest wellcome. I have been reading this forum for over a year without alot of posting these are a great group of people with a lot of info. I agree with classicrockgriller if you don't know your neighbors you will due to the in my opinon awesome aroma. Good luck in your decision but you won't go wrong with the OBS.