2ND heat element and indicator light question

Started by Toker, March 12, 2010, 01:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toker

Hi, i have a question. I'm in the process of adding a 2ND element to my obs and also plugging the 1ST element directly to the plug on the back of the smoker, but i just remarked that the indicator light is controlled by the switch on the faceplate. If i disconnect my element from there and plug it to the back, i won't use the slider bar to controll the heat OK, but what about the light? Does it need to be controlled by the slider bar to propertly working or does it need to be plug other way? I mean if i don't slide the bar to the right for the heat, how will the light functioning?

And from the view that i have there 3 wires connected to the faceplate how do you know witch one to disconnect? I mean there is one slot with 2 wires connected to the same slot and one other slot with only one wire, witch one i disconnect?

THX

Habanero Smoker

If you disconnect the temperature slider, the light will not work. If you want to light to go off and on to indicate the power is on, the all you will need to do is to unplug the two neutral wires (really three wires, because one terminal has two wires going to it) that go to the temperature controller and connect them together with a wire nut, I would also use electrical tape or silicon sealant around the nut for added protection for moisture. Hooking it up this way I don't believe the light will dim as the power is decreased, but it will light when the power is on.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Toker

Ok so i disconnect all of the 3 wrigh? I'm confuse with the third sorry. Because i was not sure judging by this picture, i thought that one wire (on the slot that has 2 on it) was going to the light so i will join all the 3 toghther like you said. I really like your picture Habs and the other too, the one that show the under part of the smoker with original wires it helped me understand a bit more. THX :D

Habanero Smoker

Sorry for the late response, I had to log off for awhile.

Correct, the terminal that has the two white neutrals - one is going to the plug, the other is for the light, the red wire is the hot wire for the light. The terminal with the single wire is going to the heating element.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Toker

So witch wire has to stay connected for the light to glow? I'M very slow understanding sorry never touched a wire of my intire life! >:(

Toker

OK forget it, i will only disconnect 2 and keep the one for the light. I think i understood. Sorry again feel really shy for my real slow understanding.

Habanero Smoker

Sorry, I was not online when you replied.

If you don't need to hook up the wiring for the element, then you need to find the neutral wire that is running to the plug. I think it is the terminal that has the one wire. If it is that wire, you will need to separate the two wires connected to the other terminal, and connect the neutral wire that is going to the light to the neutral wire going to the plug. If one of the white wires on the terminal that has both wires is going to the plug, then it should work without have to connect any other wires.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Toker