Smoked Javelina

Started by KevinG, March 12, 2010, 11:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachanga

That is some fine looking pig, Kevin.  And what a story along with a record.  Wow!!!

When hunting pigs you always need to keep in mind that "you hunt them a little while and then they hunt you a little while."

Nice smoke.

Good luck and here's to sneaking up on them,

Pachanga

KevinG

So far the Javelina is surpisingly a hit. I've gotten 3 great jobs. I guess you're right 10.5 the sitting probably did help some.

Tamales - now if I only had the first clue on how to make them, that sounds like an excellent idea.

Thanks Pachanga, it was an experience that's for sure!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

I personally wouldn't eat a pig that committed sucide! ;D

My Dad and I was Black Bass fishing once and we drifted into a cove.

On one of my cast, I snagged a limb inback of me and got a backlash.

My worm was in the water beside the boat while I untangled the line.

As I was reeling in the slack line I felt a tug. I set the hook and it was on.

15 minutes later I had a 6 1/2 lb bass in the Boat.

My Dad was all excited and I lipped the fish and removed the hook and threw in back in the water.

My Dad was pissed, But I told him I wasn't eating a fish that was that stupid.

It made for a great story for years to come and He still got Mad everytime it was told.

Seriously, nice job on the Javalina.

I have found that soaking "Deer" in icy water takes the game taste out, kinda helps bleed it out.

KevinG

That's a funny story, but you gotta weed out the stupid ones, so the smart ones can repopulate.  ;D

I did soak them in the brine for over 3 days. It's funny, I didn't try it today until everyone started complimenting me on it. I went back and snagged a piece and it really was good. I guess the sitting after the smoke helped to mellow it out big time. It actually tastes just like a ham. One of my coworkers actually accused me of buying a ham and putting it in there. I can't believe the difference a little time makes.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

Quote from: KevinG on March 15, 2010, 01:14:12 PM
That's a funny story, but you gotta weed out the stupid ones, so the smart ones can repopulate.  ;D

I did soak them in the brine for over 3 days. It's funny, I didn't try it today until everyone started complimenting me on it. I went back and snagged a piece and it really was good. I guess the sitting after the smoke helped to mellow it out big time. It actually tastes just like a ham. One of my coworkers actually accused me of buying a ham and putting it in there. I can't believe the difference a little time makes.

Works on my Wife when I lock her in the closet for a few days. She's pretty mellow when I open the door. ;D