split breast

Started by Midnight Smoker, September 05, 2010, 08:33:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midnight Smoker

Okay, for those of you that read the post on my first smoke (butt) you will understand why I am posting this question!!!

I am planning on smoking 11lbs of split breast along with 5 brats and 5 spicy sausages.  I am trying to estimate the time to come out of the smoker.  I am not planning on throwing the chicken on the gril but will if I am not happy with them coming out of the smoker.  Anyway, I really want to try and eat around 5 so I am trying to determine when I am goign to start my smoke!

Heres the plan:
1:  I have 1/2 the chickens marinating in Italian Dressing, other 1/2 is getting a dry rub.
2:  I plan to preheat on high, then smoke with Cherry wood for 2.5 hours then I am estimating another 2 hours to cook. (i will monitor IT to 165)
I guess my question is do you think my smoke plan is realistic?

KyNola

I think your timing is about right although don't be surprised if it goes longer.  I was thinking around 5 hours.  One important point, make sure the vent is 100% wide open as chicken holds a ton of moisture and you want the moistaure to escape asap so it doesn't hold your cooking temp down.  Because you're doing poultry I would recommend you smoke/cook at 250 degrees.  One last thing, make sure your chicken is under your other items.  Don't want chicken dripping on the other food.

Now...hit it!

SouthernSmoked

I agree with KyNola, its a great starting point on timing but it could go a little longer to get there.

Here is one that I did about a month ago.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17179.0

Hope this helps!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little