3lb. Boneless Turkey Breast Roast (Butterball)

Started by SnellySmokesEm, March 12, 2010, 03:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnellySmokesEm

I bought a 3lb. Boneless Turkey Breast Roast (Butterball) the store today to make lunchmeat.  Now what do I do?  Do I rub my breast?  I know I want a mild bark on the breast because I am making lunchmeat that my one year old son will be eating.  The package says to cook to an IT of 170 so thats what I am going to do unless I get better suggestions.  Thanks for your help.
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

FLBentRider

Quote from: SnellySmokesEm on March 12, 2010, 03:08:22 PM
I bought a 3lb. Boneless Turkey Breast Roast (Butterball) the store today to make lunchmeat.  Now what do I do?  Do I rub my breast?  I know I want a mild bark on the breast because I am making lunchmeat that my one year old son will be eating.  The package says to cook to an IT of 170 so thats what I am going to do unless I get better suggestions.  Thanks for your help.

I would definitely put a rub on your breast. ::)

Jans' rub is not all that spicy, but I would go light anyway.

I'd hit it with 1-2 hours of smoke @250F and continue 250F until you get to your target IT. I usually do 165F.

Bear in mind that your IT will climb a little after you take it out.

If it has skin, I'd put a little rub under the skin.

I have always brined whole birds, I've not done just a breast.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Quote3lb. Boneless Turkey Breast Roast (Butterball)

I do these all the time..

Take the netting off if you like (hint: it will be a bear to get it off later), oil with EVOO, and put a mild rub on it.
If you can ever get your hands on Carolina Treet - it was almost made for turkey - just dump it on and throw it in the smoker.

I go 2 hours of mild (as in, not hickory/mesquite) smoke at 220° (that's as high as my box will go with my current temperature controller), and take it to an IT of 160°.   Pull, foil, wrap in towel and let rest a while in the microwave or a small cooler.

These things are pumped will all kinds of salty solutions, so a brine would more than likely be a waste of time.

You'll love it, and will start scowling at the $6-8 pound plastic stuff in the 'deli'..

SnellySmokesEm

Thanks STC and FLBR -
Ok well I am going to rub my breast tonight and then slather with some CT tomorrow. 

QuoteYou'll love it, and will start scowling at the $6-8 pound plastic stuff in the 'deli'..

I am already scowling at the high price of deli cuts, maybe thats why I never buy them.  I asked the butcher at Publix if they can get me bonless chicken but didnt have any luck.  I guess I need go to the GFS and get my chicken
BBQ Evangelist

SnellySmokesEm

I guess I bought the wrong turkey meat to make lunch meat.  As soon as I took the netting off the turkey  fell apart.

STC - I was hoping to make some lunch meat and slice it up in the slicer liked we had talked about earlier when I saw your post on the chicken breast....  Now what should I do with these turkey chunks???   :-\ :-\
BBQ Evangelist

Habanero Smoker

Is it in chunks, or is it a whole boneless turkey breast? Either way you should be able to tie it up with butcher's twine and you should be good to go. You can find butcher's twine (100% cotton cord) almost in any supermarket. If not go to a hardware store, purchase 100% white cotton cord and sterilize what you need by soaking the cord in hot water for about five minute. Bring the water to a boil, remove from heat and then soak the cord.

Undoing the netting may have worked to your benefit, now you have the seasonings inside the bird.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SnellySmokesEm

The brest is in one chunk and then there is several small chuncks.  I have butchers twine but I am not the greatest when it comes to tying it up.  I guess I will season it and do my best to tie it back up.
BBQ Evangelist

FLBentRider

Bummer that it fell apart on you.

Maybe if you have some cheesecloth you could wrap it in that, or if you have a frogmat - roll it in that.

just sort of thinking out loud here.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Dang..     I've maybe had one fall into 2 pieces, but never a pile.

Did you get the all white meat one, or the 'mixed'?

squirtthecat

Snelly, I just had the same thing happen to me..

Must be how the planets are aligned today.

KevinG

Quote from: SnellySmokesEm on March 13, 2010, 05:44:04 AM
The brest is in one chunk and then there is several small chuncks.  I have butchers twine but I am not the greatest when it comes to tying it up.  I guess I will season it and do my best to tie it back up.

I agree with FL, use cheesecloth, it makes tying a lot easier. See my post on the Javelina I'm doing, I've got a couple of pics that show it.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=14892.0
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

SnellySmokesEm

Thanks guys for all your help.  But unfortunaley it wasnt in this birds destiny to be eaten....  Had some friends drop by unexpectedly and had a few too many beers, fell asleep  :P and forgot about the poor little bird...  :-[ :-[ :-[
On the other hand NEPA's carnitas were a hit!  Now its time for seemores fajitas!
BBQ Evangelist

Tiny Tim

I just re-arrange the netting to get it loosened from around the breast, but still keep it captive.  Doesn't cook into the meat as bad that way.

squirtthecat

Quote from: Tiny Tim on March 15, 2010, 05:45:10 PM
I just re-arrange the netting to get it loosened from around the breast, but still keep it captive.  Doesn't cook into the meat as bad that way.

GOOD idea..