3lb. Boneless Turkey Breast Roast (Butterball)

Started by SnellySmokesEm, March 12, 2010, 03:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnellySmokesEm

Very nice, mine almost turned out like that.
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

smokehawk

Looks like the fellas have got you down the right path.  I love smoking turkey and don't respond on here all too often.  STC got me going over a year ago.  Done many since then.  I usually do a variation of Jan's rub and another house rub I found on here.  I usually make sure to use smoked paprika and sage is a must for me with turkey.

For applying it, I took all of STCs advice except for putting it under the skin.  Mine still turn out great.  I've had a few fall apart after taking off the netting over the years and one tonight as well.  What I do since I usually have extra rub is try to put it all together the best I can and then let it sit on a baking sheet overnight in the fridge.  Then after it sits and gets to room temp I put it on the rack very carefully and let it cook.  I haven't had one fall apart in more than two pieces after it cooks.

Really this is all about experimenting and seeing what works.  Love the turkey breast and I'm in hog heaven (over turkey) since Costco just got the boneless butterball's back in for $12 each for a 4.5 lb breast.

STC, you're still the man, just chiming in with my two pennies!

classicrockgriller

Quote from: smokehawk on September 05, 2010, 12:30:32 AM
Looks like the fellas have got you down the right path.  I love smoking turkey and don't respond on here all too often.  STC got me going over a year ago.  Done many since then.  I usually do a variation of Jan's rub and another house rub I found on here.  I usually make sure to use smoked paprika and sage is a must for me with turkey.

For applying it, I took all of STCs advice except for putting it under the skin.  Mine still turn out great.  I've had a few fall apart after taking off the netting over the years and one tonight as well.  What I do since I usually have extra rub is try to put it all together the best I can and then let it sit on a baking sheet overnight in the fridge.  Then after it sits and gets to room temp I put it on the rack very carefully and let it cook.  I haven't had one fall apart in more than two pieces after it cooks.

Really this is all about experimenting and seeing what works.  Love the turkey breast and I'm in hog heaven (over turkey) since Costco just got the boneless butterball's back in for $12 each for a 4.5 lb breast.

STC, you're still the man, just chiming in with my two pennies!

STC is the Guru of Turkey Breast. It is always fun to watch what he does.

If he isn't doing something crazy with them ... then He's doing

it for other people to enjoy. He is a classy guy.

3rensho

WOW OTB, that turkey and cuke sandwich looks great and made me hungry.  I've got to try that.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

SouthernSmoked

Hey Snelly, here is one recipe that I did a few weeks ago...

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17391.0

I hope this helps on the next smoke!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little