1st crack at snack sticks

Started by Klondikesmoker, March 13, 2010, 09:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klondikesmoker

Finally got everything together to try some snack sticks.  This was the real reason for buying the Bradley.  I could not find anyone to make up suasage for me locally.  I used to have friends of the family do them for me but they decided it was too busy and closed the business.  I tried 4 different outfits and none were up to my standard so I bought a Bradley.  I have been playing around with pulled pork (my favorite) boink balls, jerky,wings, fatties (mmmm), almonds, pistachios, and what ever else I feel like throwing in.  

Now it is time for the snack sticks.  I got the friends secret  :) recepie.  This was way easier mixing and stuffing than I thought it would be.  I have a LEM 5lb stuffer and did up 10 lbs of meat. 7lbs moose and 3lbs pork butt.  The only casings I could get were sheep casings but they worked great, only had 1 blow out and that was because I didn't get all the air out of the stuffer.  

1.5 hours to start, then 2 hours smoke of hickory and apple, 4 more hours to get IT of 162*, 4 hours to cool.
They turned out GREAT.  Just like I remember. 

The only problem I have is there is only 10 lbs of ground moose left in the freezer.  Not sure if I want to grind up the steak I have for snack sticks.   

lumpy

That looks great there Klondike!
Its been years since my moose hunting days. Too bad that I was not into sausage making at that time.

I can just imagine the moose sticks that I would have made.

Lumpy

pensrock

Looks great, I have never had any moose but I'm sure its great.

smokeNcanuck

OH man I am soooo jealous right now.  I too really want to make some snack sticks.
Only have a few more weeks till I get all my supplies(stuffer mainly).
I hope to get my hands on some venison but moose would be nice as well.
Your sticks look great!  Any chance you wanna share that "secret recipe"?? :D
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

watchdog56

Looks like a very good job there. Care to share that secret recipe? I would like to do some more venison.

Captainslug

Yes.  Looks Great!  I'd like the recipe too if you are willing to share.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack Smoker, 8 Std Racks, cold smoke adapter, 3 alum. pucks, 2nd element, circ. fan, Dual probe PID

Klondikesmoker

I haven't forgot you guys.  I will get the recipe later.  I am in the middle of doing a pork butt and having problems with the PID.  Also just got called into work for tomorrow morning.  So a butt I have to keep an eye on, hockey game on and work tomorrow with a time change tonight.

Klondikesmoker

Tenpoint5

Snack sticks look great. I see you have the hand crank old ugly #32. I have the same one except I motorized mine with a pulley.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Klondikesmoker

Tenpoint

what did you use for a reduction gear and how did you set it up?  do you have pictures?  I was looking at trying that but the parts are about 1/2 the price of a new "plastic" grinder.  not sure which way to go.

Klondikesmoker

watchdog56

Hey Klondike-are you ready to give up that recipe yet??? ??? ;D

Klondikesmoker

okay okay
been real busy packing for a holiday.  just finished another butt took another 24 hours but quicker than the last one as I now have the second heat element added.  Sure makes recovery when changing water etc a LOT faster.

I am not to fussy about all the heat most of you add to your sausage etc, so I knew I would have to find something a little milder.  here is what I use it suits ME just fine.

not sure why it is in grams but that is what I have

this is for a 10 pound batch of meat. 

either

6.0 pounds game or beef
2.5 pounds pork butt
1.5 pounds pork fat

Or

8 pounds game or beef
2 pounds pork fat

907 grams water (work out to 900 ml)
110.4 grams salt
22.7 grams red pepper
11.4 grams white pepper
5.6 grams allspice
5.6 grams anise seed
1.2 grams garlic
34.0 grams sugar
124.5 grams binder
            (I used powder skim milk) found out binder is not absolutely necessary
11.4 grams cure mix

Enjoy

Klondikesmoker

watchdog56

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Klondikesmoker on March 14, 2010, 01:33:31 PM
Tenpoint

what did you use for a reduction gear and how did you set it up?  do you have pictures?  I was looking at trying that but the parts are about 1/2 the price of a new "plastic" grinder.  not sure which way to go.

Klondikesmoker

I don't have a reduction gear on mine just pulley to pulley. There is enough slippage that if I get too much in there, it will stop and I have to start cranking by hand to get it going again. I am heading out to work right now or I would look for a picture. I know I have posted one somewhere on here.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Very nice sticks Klondike  ;D

watchdog56

OK let me see if I got this right Klondike. These are some figures I found from an online conversion chart program.

3 3/4 cup water ( Is this distilled water?)
1/2 cup salt (Is this kosher salt?)
1 1/2 tablespoons of red pepper
3/4 tablespoons white pepper
1/2 tablespoon allspice
1/2 tablespoon anise seed
1/4 teaspoon of garlic ( Is this granulated garlic,garlic salt or garlic powder?)
2 1/2 tablespoons of sugar
1/2 cup powder skim milk
3/4 tablespoons of cure

Is that the right amount of water? It seems like a lot for a 10lb mix. I usually use 2-3 cups for a 25 lb mix with Cabela's seasoning mix kits.

Do I mix,stuff and let sit overnight in frig?

Thanks for your info.