1st crack at snack sticks

Started by Klondikesmoker, March 13, 2010, 09:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slider

Klondikesmoker

Watchdog

Thanks for the conversion.  I just used tap water and table salt.  I thought that was to much water also, but this was my first time making sticks so followed the recipe faithfully.  that is the right amount of water and the sticks came out great.  Also it came out of the stuffer real smooth and for a newbie making sausage (1st time) it was easy with no problems.  Only had one blow out and that was because of an air pocket.  So I would stick with the recommened amount of water. 
I mixed it all up and stuffed right away then set in fridge overnight before smoking to let the cure work.

Slider

1/4 tsp for garlic does sound like very little and I would add more next time.  Actually I forgot to add the garlic this time as I had fresh ground garlic and it was wet so didn't want to add it to the dry ingredient right away so put it aside until late and then completely for got it.  but 1/4 tsp does sound like very little for 10 lbs.   

Klondikesmoker

OU812

Nice job with your first shot of makin snack sticks, they dont get any better than that.

watchdog56

Thanks, I will have to try this recipe next time I do more sausage.

slider

I did not mean any harm by my comment I just like garlic....I also am going to try it .

NewfieSmoker

Those snack sticks look excellent!  I'm willing to bet that you have half of them eaten since you took that picture!

I also use Moose as my primary ingredient in my sausages, usually cut with pork butts, belly, and now I have a significant amount of beef fat. Here in Newfoundland, the moose are plentyful, and I draw a bull only tag every year, my wife gets an either sex every second year, as does my father, so we have plenty of moose meat kicking around.  Usually loads of snack sticks and Jerky. I just built my own walk in cooler in my garage and this year we aged the meat 4 weeks.  It was a tremendous improvement over taking your animal to the butcher shortly after harvesting it.  This fall, I am going to hang 1 quarter for 2-3 months and see what happens.  It will either result in a bad case of the S#$% or an incredible piece of meat!

Either way, Moose is great, and your snack sticks got me thinkin!
Smoke em if you got em!

Rob

slider

It would be nice to be able to harvest an animal that supplied so much meat for the freezer. I would have to harvest 10 whitetail deer to produce that much meat. We can harvest 4 Whitetail per year.

squirtthecat

Quote from: NewfieSmoker on March 23, 2010, 08:29:25 PM
I just built my own walk in cooler in my garage

:o

Not to hijack, but could you let us know how you did that??  Maybe a pictorial in a new thread?

slider

OU812

Quote from: squirtthecat on March 24, 2010, 04:39:52 AM
Quote from: NewfieSmoker on March 23, 2010, 08:29:25 PM
I just built my own walk in cooler in my garage

:o

Not to hijack, but could you let us know how you did that??  Maybe a pictorial in a new thread?

I would be interested in your cooler also.

NewfieSmoker

Sure, I will start a new thread of our cooler.  Hopefully I can get some pics uploaded. 

Newfie
Smoke em if you got em!

Rob