OBS or DBS?

Started by lunatik, March 13, 2010, 06:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lunatik

Quote from: toker on March 14, 2010, 03:24:25 PM
you could Wait a few weeks for the dual probe pid to come back in stock me i GREATLY advise it to you. Should be back on stock in April. This way, you will be able to monitor both the food and the smoker.

Also you should think buying a Maverick available from the same site to for the reason we discussed earlier in the earlier post.

Sorry if i'm not on the same wave length as you!  If i wait for the dual probe pid (which does the food and smoker) why would i need the Maverick system?

Quarlow

Because the maverick is a remote wireless thermometer that you keep in your pocket to see what the temps are in the meat and the cabinet. It doesn't control the temps. The PID controlls the temps. I think it displays the temps too, but you have to go out to the smoker and look at the PID to see the temps.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

lunatik

Quote from: Quarlow on March 14, 2010, 08:50:42 PM
Because the maverick is a remote wireless thermometer that you keep in your pocket to see what the temps are in the meat and the cabinet. It doesn't control the temps. The PID controlls the temps. I think it displays the temps too, but you have to go out to the smoker and look at the PID to see the temps.

so then i wouldn't need the dual pid, correct?  I just need the single probe auber pid and i can just get the maverick and call it good

Toker

Quarlow understood everything.

lunatik

i'm still not understanding why i would need a dual probe pid if i would be using a Maverick that would tell me the temp of the meat and the smoker.  sorry if i'm being confused lol

Quarlow

Well this is just personally, but I will get the single probe PID and a dual probe Maverick. I like to know what the temps of the meat IT and the cabinet temp. The PID will keep track of the meat temp and do the temp ramps accordingly.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

lunatik

Thanks Quarlow, that makes sense to me and it saves money not having to buy the dual probe if you're already getting a dual probe maverick.  thanks for the quick response!!

Quarlow

No problem. You can do without the dual probe PID and I am not the guy who gets the top of the line when I can get by for less $. But if it was to make my life better I would get it. I just think I can do just fine with a single probe PID no matter what I am going to advance to later on.

OBS
BBQ

lunatik

wow wow wow......it took me a year, but i finally have ordered an OBS and should be here sometime this week!!   :o  i have also ordered some hickory, mesquite and apple pucks to start off with.  i've also ordered 3 of the aluminum pucks so that i don't have to waste any pucks.  lastly, i've picked up a Maverick ET732. 

the main things that i'll be cooking is brisket, chicken, ribs, and pork butt.   Since i'll never do any sausage, i won't need a pid, the ET732 will suffice, correct?  i look forward to throwing down this summer, it should be a lot of fun!!

talk to ya soon guys and gals :)

Richard

TedEbear

Quote from: lunatik on June 12, 2011, 09:45:02 PMSince i'll never do any sausage, i won't need a pid, the ET732 will suffice, correct? 

The Maverick won't control the temp in the cooking chamber. 

I have an OBS and an ET-732.  I added a DIY PID controller in the smoker generator box to provide a more stable temp control.  With the PID the temp stays within 3-4 degrees no matter what the weather is doing (wind, hot, cold).  I only smoke butts and occasionally baby back ribs.

lunatik

Thanks Ted for the reply. Do you think it's as crucial to maintain the temp range when doing a brisket etc?  I'm not sure what the temp swing is without one, but looking for the right internal temp of the meat would let one know?  Sorry, I'm new to this :(

TedEbear

I've never done a brisket but I think the closer the smoker can maintain your desired cooking temp the better the result will be.  I've heard reports from some owners who say theirs vary as much as 20 degrees during cooking.

I was just tired of trying to guess where I should set the slider temp control on mine to get it to stabilize at 225 degrees or whatever I wanted and it seemed like it was always changing because of the wind, sunlight or other outside factors. The PID controller solved all of the frustration for me.   :)

lunatik

How much a good plug n play cost?

Toker

lunatik

Yikes! That will def have to wait for that kinda money lol. Thanks toker for the link :)