OBS or DBS?

Started by lunatik, March 13, 2010, 06:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freakaccident

Quote from: lunatik on June 13, 2011, 10:27:53 AM
Yikes! That will def have to wait for that kinda money lol. Thanks toker for the link :)

Start saving.  A dual probe PID is the best money you will ever spend as an accessory for the Bradley.  After your first couple of smokes you will want one.  You can set up cycles.  So for instance you can preheat for an hour at whatever temp you want, then the next cycle can smoke for the time you want at the temp you want, then you can have the smoke turn off and cook your meat until it reaches the temp that you want to finish at AND then you can have it cycle down to a warming temp just in case you aren't back in time. You can set up to 6 heat cycles and 2 smoke cycles to make it do whatever you want.  

I smoked a 9lb turkey breast today.  After cycle 1 preheat I hung the turkey breast and went to the swimming pool for 4 hours.  Without the PID I would have been in the house and constantly Monitoring my Maverick and adjusting the Bradley to keep it at the right temp.  If its sunny and the Bradley is at 225 and all of a sudden clouds roll in I would have to go back out and adjust it.  Wind picks up? Readjust :) PID is amazing!

Two things I do want:

1. Smoke stack with a rain hat type of deal so if it rains and I am away the water doesn't get inside the cabinet.  Still trying to work out a detachable deal so I can still use the Bradley cover.  I currently use a big metal serving tray to cover the vent if it rains.  I keep the PID in the grill cabinet next to the Bradley so it won't get wet.  The PID goes in the house after smoking.  I don't leave it in the grill cabinet because of humidity and whatnot.

2. A grommet type deal in the top of the Bradley to hang my probes from.  I run 4 probes with the Auber and Maverick and I currently run them through the top vent with a bit of duck tape to keep them in the right position but if I wanted to fully close the vent I couldn't.

GusRobin

why would you want to close the vent? Mine has been wide open since the day i bought it 2 yrs ago. If fact I think it is probably "stuck"  oprn. Now people differ and have it at various degrees of open, but don't know of anytime you would want to keep it totally close. Capture too much moisture in the cabinet.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

freakaccident

Quote from: GusRobin on June 26, 2011, 09:25:43 AM
why would you want to close the vent? Mine has been wide open since the day i bought it 2 yrs ago. If fact I think it is probably "stuck"  oprn. Now people differ and have it at various degrees of open, but don't know of anytime you would want to keep it totally close. Capture too much moisture in the cabinet.

I close mine on certain meats after the smoke cycle specifically for the moisture.  It's not actually fully closed since I have 4 probes through the vent.  To each his own I suppose. 

GusRobin

Yeah, everyone has there own way. Just have to be careful --if there is too much moisture you'll end up with "black rain" on what you are smoking.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

freakaccident

Quote from: GusRobin on June 27, 2011, 10:31:38 AM
Yeah, everyone has there own way. Just have to be careful --if there is too much moisture you'll end up with "black rain" on what you are smoking.

Yeah I leave it fully open most of the time but on some cycles in the winter it's tough.  I am used to a canister style.  This is my first season with the Bradley though so we will see what winter brings.  I plan on a second element for winter smokes so I may be able to leave the vent fully open with smoke gen off.  If not I will upgrade to the bigger element.  I would love to keep the vent open fully in the winter.  With charcoal/wood it's tough to maintain temps in a can and the vent makes a big difference  BUT the cans are domed and the drip runs down the sides.  I can see where the bradley would rain down from the middle.  Not good either way.