Potential Member here.

Started by MechMedic130, March 11, 2010, 12:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MechMedic130

Hey all, I've been browsing this forum a little since I've been thinking about dipping into the world of smoking and like the concept of the Bradley. I'm just trying to figure out if it's the right thing for me.

I've been grilling for years, but I feel like I'm stepping into a whole new world on this, lol. Before I buy a Bradley, can anybody just answer me a couple quick questions about the OBS?

1 - About how long does smoking take on average for various meats? Do you just smoke for a little while then stop smoking and let the heat work?

2 - About many Bisquettes do you typically run through while cooking? I'm not looking to spend an arm and a leg to cook some food, no matter how smokey and delicious it comes out.

3 - How beginner friendly is this? Like I said, I've been grilling for years but I am an absolute novice when it comes to smoking. I feel like I'm back to step one with my outdoor cooking, but after tasting some of my friends smoked salmons and briskets, I have to make the dive, lol.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

OU812

Welcome to the fun MechMedic

1- average is 2 to 3 hr some thicker meats I'll go 4 hr. the rest of the time in the smoker is just cookin.

2-1 bisquett will smoke for 20 min. 3 per hr.

3-This smoker is very user friendly, key thing to remember is slow and low. You will be cookin in a totally different manner than a grill which is hot and fast.

The Bradley has a small learnin curve but its easy to figure out.

One of the biggest things to learn is to keep the vent open.  :D

Wildcat

As far as we are concerned - you already are a member, whether you buy a Bradley or not.  Welcome to the forum.

1. Too many variables. It generally takes me 24 hours to do a medium size butt. I cook at lower temps than many on here.

2. The most wood pucks you should use would be 4 hours worth. Each puck last about 20 minutes. I smoke butts for 4 hours then the rest of the time is cooking. I generally just use 1 to 2 hours on other smaller things like chicken and ribs.

3. VERY user friendly. A 5 year old could operate it.

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

RAF128

As you get into it you'll find you'll need a few extras.    A meat probe/thermometer to monitor the internal temp of your meat.   You might be looking for a P.I.D.  after awhile.   It's a temperature controller that some can get away without but others think it essential.    Of course there are lots of recipes that can be found here http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=180 and they not only included the recipes but also step by step instruction.    The things you can make are almost endless and then of course you can also experiment and come up with your own creations.   

classicrockgriller

Well you gotten some great answers from some very smart members.

Welcome and just go get that thing and get to smokin'.

I was a griller too and I have not used by charcoal grill since I bought my Bradley.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum MechMedic130!

1. Longer than you think.

My friends have the other ones well covered. (and #1 too)
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KevinG

Welcome MechMedic130! If I can figure it out, I'm sure you can.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

MechMedic130

Thanks for the welcome! I'm looking forward to getting started, and thanks for the tips. I'm just waiting for my tax return and then I'll be buying it.

Tommy3Putts

Welcome Mech

I'm a newbie too.  I agree with all above but I like to use a bit more smoke.  For Spares I do four to five hours.  For butts I like to use 6-8 hours of smoke.  I like a strong smoke flavor with different wood flavors.  The Bradley rocks!!!

smokeNcanuck

Welcome Mech, You will not regret your decision.
The OBS is really straight forward.  It's all the personal touches you put on what you
make, that makes it really fun.  The folks around here make learning really easy and fun!!

Just remember.... If it fits in, you can smoke it!!

sNc
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

MPTubbs

I'm with Tommy3.....I like a stronger smoke flavor.

Start with 3 to 4 hours of smoke and see how you like it.

I've used all kinds of smokers and the Bradley is the cat's meow!
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.